ATF: Bighorn - Levelling question

SeattleLion

Our 3160 is still at the dealer waiting for a slide topper. We were there today and had to visit it. I noticed that the trailer was leveled and the curbside wheels were off the ground a bit. I know this is ok, but I also noticed that the center jacks were not touching the ground on either side. The entire weight of the trailer was taken by the landing gear and the rear jacks.

I brought this to the service manager's attention. He said that was "Ok. They don't have to be down."

That isn't my understanding. I thought that the frame could be damaged if all 6 weren't down. Can you please clear this up and if I am correct, could you update my dealer (Fife RV in Bonney Lake, Washington)? Is it possible that having the coach supported like this for the last two weeks could have already hurt it?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think having the trailer suspended by two jacks will be a problem. After all, they do make a 4 point system.
But It makes me think a bit....and it hurts.
If the rear jacks are extended, are the jacks in front of the tires extended to their max as well?
How far off the ground were the tires?
You might just need to move the hydraulic cylinders up or down on the mounting plate.
"They don't have to be down" is kinda correct, but at what point should they be down?
Unless the ground had a big dip at that point, I'm kinda thinkin that that they should be down.
Can you post some pics?

Peace
Dave

SeattleLion

I don't think having the trailer suspended by two jacks will be a problem. After all, they do make a 4 point system.
But It makes me think a bit....and it hurts.
If the rear jacks are extended, are the jacks in front of the tires extended to their max as well?
How far off the ground were the tires?
You might just need to move the hydraulic cylinders up or down on the mounting plate.
"They don't have to be down" is kinda correct, but at what point should they be down?
Unless the ground had a big dip at that point, I'm kinda thinkin that that they should be down.
Can you post some pics?

Peace
Dave

As I said in my question, the trailer is at the dealer's shop. I visited it there today. I can't take pictures or change anything. It is 25 miles away. I just want to confirm that we don't inherit a problem caused by improper use of the 6 way leveling system. I also don't understand how the leveling system can even use just front and back jacks alone. I thought it always used either just the landing gear or all 3 on a side.

donr827

JMO all of the jacks on that side should be extended to the ground unless the one jack you mentioned was in a hole where it ran out of stroke. Do not believe everything a dealer tells you.
Don

danemayer

Bob,

We had a discussion last year about the 6 point operation. The center and rear landing jacks are supposed to operate together as a unit, but each side operates separately. If the door-side tires are off the ground and the center jack is not down, it may have failed to operate properly.

Jacks not extending fully doesn't sound like a controller issue. It's more likely to be a problem with the jacks or the control valves, or perhaps a wiring issue. Hopefully the dealer tested the system before ordering parts.

It also seems unlikely that this would have caused any damage to the trailer. Consider that when towing, the frame is suspended at the very front end, and at the axles. Then it bounces around every time you hit a bump. If you could cause damage by jacking the frame just behind the wheels, imagine what would happen when you go over a bad bump at highway speed.

SeattleLion

Thanks, Dane. That's what I thought too. I am hoping someone from Heartland will reply so that I can use the post (or hopefully a call from the factory to the dealer) to require the dealer to fix this issue. Since he hasn't done his PDI yet, maybe it will be corrected before I go back next week.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I would be sure to fully operate the leveling system during the PDI. Hook up your truck, raise the jacks fully and then unhook and level the trailer to be certain that there is not an issue before taking delivery.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
FWI, those of us with a 4-point system, be it Level-Up or Ground Control, only have jacks at the front and just behind the tires (not including the rear stabilizer). Doesn't appear to effect the frame.