ATF: Bighorn - Opening slides when coach is not level

SeattleLion

I'm not happy about it but since we can't get the truck in to move it, there is little we can do. Also I don't want to damage the frame by jacking and putting all the weight on one spot. I may just have to leave it this way no matter how painful, until I can pull it to a level spot.

scottyb

I'm sorry I'm not closer to you. I would bring all my 20 Ton jacks and jack stands and we would get that baby righted.

SeattleLion

I'm sorry I'm not closer to you. I would bring all my 20 Ton jacks and jack stands and we would get that baby righted.

Thanks! I had a thought. A neighbor has a slightly smaller Montana. I was thinking that if we filled the ruts with dirt and then managed to get our truck to the trailer (which I am not convinced we can), we could hitch up and our neighbor could tow while we tried to drive out. The combination might work. The rub here is that I am sure we can't get to the trailer until the ground dries up.

SeattleLion

I just received a reply from Kary who checked with engineering. I quote:

I spoke with engineering and they tell me front to rear is the critical part. If that is fairly level it will be ok to run the slides in and out. Side to side wont really affect the slide rooms damaging the floors.

Based on this, at least we can open the slides and get some work done until the ground firms up.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We were in a muddy field once and I got 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood at Home Depot. I had them cut the sheets in half lengthwise and then laid them down to make a temporary 'road' to drive on. It worked to get me almost out and then another pickup with 4wd pulled us the rest of the way out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Also consider this, a heavy duty wrecker should be able to get the 5er out. Costs alot but might be worth it. Also Cat Liter works great to fill in ruts as it will help to absorb moisture. Large bags of it don't cost that much at Wal-Mart.