ATF: Bighorn - Pin box weight rating

SLO

I have a 2016 3685RL. Recently I had occasion to remove the cover over the pin box. The printed rating on the pin box is 15,500 lbs. My trailer GVWR is 16,000 lbs. Should I be concerned about this?

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I have a 2016 3685RL. Recently I had occasion to remove the cover over the pin box. The printed rating on the pin box is 15,500 lbs. My trailer GVWR is 16,000 lbs. Should I be concerned about this?

Is this the pin box that came with the trailer? If it is I would call Heartland and find out from them.

pegmikef

and there should probably be a margin of safety there too because people often tend to exceed the GVWR. Mine is rated at 18k and I just weighed in at Goshen at 14.5k

AAdams

Just went out and pulled our shroud off enough to see the sticker. LIPP1621HD 18,000 lb so we're good

SLO

LIPP1621 15,000, no HD. This is our second Bighorn in three years. Love the quality of both of our Bighorns. Quality control is a whole different thing though. Loose parts (electrical, cable connections, etc), disconnected parts (heater vents), missing parts (6 parts missing on refrigerator alone). Now, wrong parts. With the pin box cover off I checked torque on bolts. All 10 bolts were torqued to 50-55 lbs. I believe Heartland is no different than any other manufacturer and better than most in quality control. I truly don't get too worked up about it. I just fix it and go on. This last weekend a hydraulic hose blew off a fitting. I got a new hose made and moved on. Heartland will probably reimburse. But if they don't, it was only $30. The pin box will be replace with a Reese Airborne Sidewinder.
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=37979&stc=1

Attachments

• IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 369

AAdams

Well Heartland would have some expense if you were not upgrading the pin and only getting a replacement for the right one. It probably wouldn't hurt to call and ask politely for some compensation for them installing the wrong pin box. Offer to send pictures.... worst they could say is no, sorry.

'Lil Guy'

I have a 5th Airborne 5AB E1621/16 rated for 21K. Looking at the picture below, maybe it will fit on my new BH being built.

B

BouseBill

It would be nice to hear something from the factory.....

MTPockets

LIPP1621 15,000, no HD. This is our second Bighorn in three years. Love the quality of both of our Bighorns. Quality control is a whole different thing though. Loose parts (electrical, cable connections, etc), disconnected parts (heater vents), missing parts (6 parts missing on refrigerator alone). Now, wrong parts. With the pin box cover off I checked torque on bolts. All 10 bolts were torqued to 50-55 lbs. I believe Heartland is no different than any other manufacturer and better than most in quality control. I truly don't get too worked up about it. I just fix it and go on. This last weekend a hydraulic hose blew off a fitting. I got a new hose made and moved on. Heartland will probably reimburse. But if they don't, it was only $30. The pin box will be replace with a Reese Airborne Sidewinder. //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=37979&stc=1
Sounds like this is under control but would like to know if a call was made to factory and their reply. As far as bolt torque, these nuts should be checked periodically, especially when new. They will require re-torquing until they settle in. Mine was over two years and re-torqing several times before they were all staying at proper torque. Same for your wheels and axle U-bolts.. Keeping these at proper setting can prevent issues later.

B

BouseBill

Dan...Third party pin box?? I suggest maybe you go read post #1

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At the last two rally factory tours I was on, it appeared the frames were shipped to Heartland from Lippert with the pin boxes already mounted. So if the bolt torque was wrong, it came in that way and it's not likely HL devotes much time or manpower to receiving inspection, rather relying on Lippert to get it right. Same for putting the right pin box on the frames.

SLO

I did call Heartland. The pin boxes do come already installed on the frame from Lippert. Lippert sent me pictures of the mounting bracket (the pieces that are welded to the frame) that the pin box is bolted to. According to Lippert I had correct mounting bracket and the proper pin box (1621HD). They said they put the wrong sticker on the pin box. Could be I suppose. Case closed by Heartland and Lippert. My solution was to put a different pin box on the trailer. Just made me feel more comfortable. As far as bolt torque. The bolts can't be retorqued with the pin box cover on, and it is siliconed on, so not meant to be removed easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I did call Heartland. The pin boxes do come already installed on the frame from Lippert. Lippert sent me pictures of the mounting bracket (the pieces that are welded to the frame) that the pin box is bolted to. According to Lippert I had correct mounting bracket and the proper pin box (1621HD). They said they put the wrong sticker on the pin box. Could be I suppose. Case closed by Heartland and Lippert. My solution was to put a different pin box on the trailer. Just made me feel more comfortable. As far as bolt torque. The bolts can't be retorqued with the pin box cover on, and it is siliconed on, so not meant to be removed easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, that pin box cover does come off fairly easily. When I replaced the OEM pinbox on our rig with a 5th Airborne, I told my dealer to put the cover in the basement. I had the dealer do it when I took it in for some routine maintenance. Once I got the rig home, I modified the top of the cover to fit over the new pinbox, screwed it back in place and caulked the joint between it and the overhang.