ATF: Bighorn - RF intererence

sengli

When ever I turn on the LED lighting especially in the bedroom, the signal on the TV dies? Both TV's lose their signals when the bedroom lights are turned on. The powered TV amp is still on, I can see this from the red power LED on its panel. Obviously there must be some type of RF noise generated from the power source of the LED lighting. Where is this supply, and is there any idea's on what to do to fix this?

Last edited:

jbeletti

The power to the bedroom lighting originates at your converter and coach battery. The power goes to the DC buss behind the DC fuse panel. From there a DC circuit branches out to the bedroom ceiling lighting wall switch. From there the switched leg goes to the ceiling lighting. Often, 1 or more lights are wired together, then jumped over to a light that has the switched power circuit there. Here's a user-guide that may explain the DC system better.

I suggest you start with the light closest to the TV.

1. With the TV on and ceiling lighting wall switch on, confirm visually for the existence of the interference
  2. Now, with the TV remaining on, turn the ceiling lighitng wall switch off
  3. Remove the glass lens (a firm counter-clockwise twist). Then remove the 3 screws that hold the fixture into the ceiling panel
  4. With the fixture pulled out of the hole, you will find 2 power leads from the fixture to the coach wiring fastened together with wire nuts. Remove one wire nut, pull out the fixture power lead and replace the wire nut on the wire ends from the ceiling
  5. Repeat with the other fixture power lead

Did the interference go away? If not, re-install light and repeat the above steps with other ceiling lights in the bedroom.

Note: This is not official communication from Heartland Customer Service. It's just me telling you what I would do to start chasing this down.

Jim Beletti

happykraut

I was just getting ready to post a ATF question, when I ran across this post. I have the same TV problem as sengli and in addition to that I noticed this morning when I turned the fireplace on the flames went into the logs instead of coming out of the logs. I turned it on and off and the flames reversed back to normal. It has worked the few times we turned it on before. Not sure if this is related, but I'm having all kinds of problems with the IR remote control of the RGB lighting strip I installed. The supplier of the lights has been working with me trying to resolve this issue. IR interference was one of the probable causes of my lighting problem.