ATF: Bighorn - Roof and ladder Weight limits?

_OZ_

I just bought a 2105 Big Horn 3570RS. I would like to go and inspect the roof for myself but I think the my 300 pounds might be too much for it.
Then I have friends that say its no big deal, look at all the NASCAR fans that get on their roofs.
What is the real story?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just bought a 2105 Big Horn 3570RS. I would like to go and inspect the roof for myself but I think the my 300 pounds might be too much for it.
Then I have friends that say its no big deal, look at all the NASCAR fans that get on their roofs.
What is the real story?

The roof can handle it . . . I doubt the ladder will.

pegmikef

Some people trust the ladder and others like me don't. I carry a collapsible ladder that I lean against the existing ladder if I need to get on the roof. The roof is no problem for the weight.

'Lil Guy'

I think it looks good and I hang our HOC plaque on it. Ditto Mike, I don't trust it and don't want it pulling on my back cap. I also carry a collapsible ladder to access the roof. I bought the green 300 plus lb ladder. A little heavier but is very sturdy.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What do you guys weigh?

Around 165 pounds . . .

We don't have a ladder, but I carry a step ladder in the back of the truck for when I need to get up on the roof while on the road.

ProwlerStepLadder-P1010843.jpg

When parked next to our house I get on the trailer roof from our garage roof.

ProwlerMaxxAirBRdone-P1010892.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At 170 lbs., I've been using the ladder since we got the rig (2009) without problem. It's rated for 300 lbs., but if I weighed that much, I'd stay off it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The ladders have a couple of weak areas.

The plastic end caps that hold each rung in place can crack. The single screw on the end bends, putting stress on the plastic. If you want to keep them from breaking, you can clamp rubber gasket material around the vertical shafts to support the rungs.

The standoffs aren't strong enough to support the flex that occurs at the top of the ladder. The flex from using the ladder causes an up and down movement of the standoffs which eventually loosens the mounting screws. To prevent the up and down motion, you need to support the ladder from underneath. I recently ran into an adjustable door stop that's very similar to PVC supports that I've been using for a few years. Here's a link. Put it under the lowest standoff and the flex will stop. I use 2 supports, but I suspect 1 would do the job.

aRAYwego

I recently noticed stress cracks in my rear cap at all the ladder stand-offs. I don't use the ladder anymore, just use my folding ladder to lean against the top of the stock ladder.