ATF: Bighorn - screw heads popping off!

sengli

Just brought home our new 2013 3260RS, and after one week of use, I have now found there are 6 of the screw heads popped off of the self tapping screws used on the largest slide. I am not sure what to do about this, other than have the dealer run more screws into the slide to hold it together. The screws must either be loaded too heavy, or they are brittle. Anyone else had this happen?

Attachments

• missing screw heads 001.jpg
    missing screw heads 001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 196
  • missing screw heads 003.jpg
    missing screw heads 003.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 196

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen this before. On my trailer. It's not a big deal.
You can run a screw in right next to the broken one. It will cover up most of the hole.
I would add a dab of caulk to seal it.
I have added caulk over all of the screws.

Peace
Dave

caissiel

I would return it to the dealer and have all the screws changed. once the slide angle is removed or pulled away the rest of the screw should be able to be removed with pliers. I dought the redrilling is proper, because the others will also pop out if the they are same quality as the originals ones that poped out.

The original problem might be that they were torqued to tight. from my trailer experience I dought its that tight, because the threads would have possibly striped.

donr827

The other day I was going around my trailer checking the outside screws. Found quite a few were a little loosed, maybe a 1/8 of a turn. I prefer to tighten them by hand so that I will not over tighten the screw. Besides it's good exercise for the hand.
Don

RoadJunkie

I imagine the dealer would not take the time to extract the embedded screws and are likely to "solve" the problem with Dave's, a.k.a. Cookie, solution. The screws were likely torqued too tight and perhaps the screw heads were sheared--hanging on by a thread of metal--when your unit left the factory. Maybe the same person even did the fastening?

sengli

I have looked at the rest of the screws and they seem like they are if anything loose. Like donr827 said, they seem like they are about an 1/8 turn out too far and need tightened up. I seriously doubt there is any way to extract the broken off screws, there isn't enough left there to get ahold of.

Westwind

I would just get some new screws and replace the broken off ones by driving them in next to them, put a dap of caulking on the hole first. That's what I did, I wasn't going to tow the trailer back to the dealer to have them do it. It's an easy fix. I feel they over torqued them at installation and snapped the heads off. Don't know if you have even seen them build a trailer but it's hurry hurry hurry. Little issues and some big ones are left for the dealer to repair.

sengli

Well I following everyones advise here, I just went and got some #8 X 1" stainless self tapping screws and installed new screws where the OE fasteners snapped off. There is no way to extract the snapped off screws. Was hoping the guys at the factory would shed some light on ths issue, but nothing so far from them. I feel after looking at the snapped off screws, these original screws were just shot into the slide material too fast and just over torqued. Again the heads of the remianing screws aren't even tight up against the fascia. I am going to watch this area for any further issues. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Called the factory and talked to the repair tech there. He said he had seen this before. Thought maybe there might be an indexing issue on the slide. Maybe it squeezes too hard against the chassis as it seals when the slide is drawn in, causing undue amounts of pressure on the "L" shaped fascia ?

Last edited:

marvmarcy

Our LM sat for five months this past summer while we lived in it in MT. I noticed one broken screw about a month before we left MT. While preparing for departure, I noticed the screw head laying on the ground directly below the broken screw. Apparently the head just popped off. The slide was open with no obvious strain on the flange. I'll watch for other screws to break. If Heartland used Chinese stainless steel screws, that explains it.

Westwind

Don't know what causes it, I initially thought the heads were snapped off during the "installation" process since I found a couple of the heads on the top of the bedroom slide which also had some missing. Like I said I just got some compatible screws painted the heads white and in they went next to where the original ones were. To date no problems and no missing heads.

sengli

Kary from the factory said there were looking into maybe going to #10 sized screws instead the current #8's they are using in the slide edges. They think they might have gotten a batch of soft screws. As far as I know there arent any kits availible with colored heads. If you are that detail oriented, I guess you can paint up your own easily. I didn't paint my replacements so I can easily see if there are any further failed screws.

StevieWonder

If they factory has them pre-painted for assembly, you would think they could provide some for you or at least sell you some. I'm sure they buy them by the bucket load.