ATF: Bighorn - Stereo Antenna

mwr322000

We just received our bighorn silverado 36tb and couldnt get any radio stations on our trip this wekend. I went up and looked and there is no Antenna on the Roof. Should there be one and if so where on the roof should it be located? The list of issues with this unit just keeps getting longer. I really hope this is the last one so we can just start to enjoy it. We really love the layout and the unit. Just not the broken AC unit, the shorted electric brakes, the water leaks in the plumbing and the Rubber roof material with bubbles in it all over the place. I dont mean to be critical about these issues but when we purchased our last unit we did it via the internet from a dealer right around the corner from the manufacturer. we got a great deal we drove out and picked it up and then just used it for three years with zero issues. This unit we ordered built just as we wanted it and spent three times the money as we did on the last one and its been constant issues. If anyone can let me know on this issue with the missing antenna that would be great and then we can be on to just enjoying the new 5th wheel.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What kind of radio did they put in your rig, a stand alone receiver or a built in type? Several of us with older units have an antenna mounted on the side which is useless. The remedy was to connect the receiver to the TV antenna coax via a splitter.

mwr322000

its one of the genesis built in units that does the dvd's and radio and blue tooth and who knows what else. Im sure much more then ill ever learn to make happen. I have to go up on the roof again and double check that there isnt a mount up there and the whip is just gone but I dont remember seeing one when I was running the cable for the back up camara up there.

danemayer

Some people have found the antenna wire behind the Genesis unit and as JohnDar noted, hooking up to the TV antenna coax will give you better results.

mwr322000

THank You for the info. Ill have to check tomorrow and see what i find. I was wondering this weekend if it may be tied into the Tv antenna but Putting the TV antenna up didnt seem to help at all. Ill check it out. Thank You Again.

MCTalley

Yes. It is a dipole antenna just dropped behind the unit. We replaced our Genesis unit and when I pulled it out found the dipole just wadded up among the other wires behind the cabinet.

Removing the unit involves popping the plastic trim pieces off the sides and removing the four screws holding it into the cabinet. Just slides right out.

mwr322000

were you able to do anything with the antenna to improve the reception or didnt you have any issues with yours?

Theresau

What did you replace it with?

Yes. It is a dipole antenna just dropped behind the unit. We replaced our Genesis unit and when I pulled it out found the dipole just wadded up among the other wires behind the cabinet.

Removing the unit involves popping the plastic trim pieces off the sides and removing the four screws holding it into the cabinet. Just slides right out.

schog

I have the same unit as you and my antenna was coiled up behind the radio. I went in behind the wall in the basement and attached it up as high as i could. It did improve the reception.

Theresau

Had wrong quote last reply - what did you replace the Genesis with? I've made some progress but it's been frustrating. Have the blu ray connected to it via an optical cable - took some changes iin settings on the Genesis and on the blu ray for the two to work but they are working now using Aux 3. Next I plan to try a Directv DVR with a coax optical cable to see if it will work. But would like to know an alternative if this doesn't work.

danemayer

Next I plan to try a Directv DVR with a coax optical cable to see if it will work. But would like to know an alternative if this doesn't work.
Hi Theresa,

If both devices have a Digital Coax Audio Connector, you should be good. If one is Optical Tos and the other is Digial Coax, you can convert the signal. Our RV Audio Connections Illustrated guide has p/n and source for the converter.

Theresau

Both devices have both. Not sure why I would have to convert as the Genesiis also has both?? (Both devices will be connected separately to the TV via HDMI cables.)

I was planning to continue to connect the blu ray to the Optical Tos (works good so far) and the Directv receiver to the Digital Coax hoping that I could then use the AUX 3 input/source for both devices (as I would never operate both at the same time.)

Theresa

Hi Theresa,

If both devices have a Digital Coax Audio Connector, you should be good. If one is Optical Tos and the other is Digial Coax, you can convert the signal. Our RV Audio Connections Illustrated guide has p/n and source for the converter.

MCTalley

Sorry, didn't quote anyone in particular. We replaced our Genesis unit with a full-out home theater receiver, blu-ray player and Apple TV. Here are a couple blog posts where we made the swap.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I didn't hook up a new antenna to the surround receiver yet (the antenna shipped with the receiver was missing since it was an open box return), but I'm liking the idea of a splitter off the TV antenna jack. I might try that here soon.

Theresau

Very impressive. Best I could get Joe to do was to swap the TV out with a Samsung we rarely used in our basement. He did put down velcro under the satellite receiver and blu ray........and helped me hook up the cables...

:)

Sorry, didn't quote anyone in particular. We replaced our Genesis unit with a full-out home theater receiver, blu-ray player and Apple TV. Here are a couple blog posts where we made the swap.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I didn't hook up a new antenna to the surround receiver yet (the antenna shipped with the receiver was missing since it was an open box return), but I'm liking the idea of a splitter off the TV antenna jack. I might try that here soon.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Very impressive. Best I could get Joe to do was to swap the TV out with a Samsung we rarely used in our basement. He did put down velcro under the satellite receiver and blu ray........and helped me hook up the cables...

:)

Theresa why did you switch out to the Samsung? The toshiba is almost as good as my older Sony Bravia I had in the house. I do plan on putting my blu ray in and already have my directv set up...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theresau

I gave the Toshiba almost a month (and one trip out) and it just doesn't have the picture that a Samsung has. (I've tried the Sony Bravia as well and returned it for a Samsung.) Samsung has a very special picture quality. (I originally planned on the Sony as our electronic nut son told us that was the one to buy but the electronics salesman recommended the Samsung - we still got the Sony and then returned it.)

We played trailer yesterday and today (in our driveway) while we were finalizing the satellite and blu ray and watched a movie - the picture on the Samsung is just incredible. Got the Genesis working too - sounded good just needs a subwoofer.

Theresa why did you switch out to the Samsung? The toshiba is almost as good as my older Sony Bravia I had in the house. I do plan on putting my blu ray in and already have my directv set up...lol.

jassson007

I gave the Toshiba almost a month (and one trip out) and it just doesn't have the picture that a Samsung has. (I've tried the Sony Bravia as well and returned it for a Samsung.) Samsung has a very special picture quality. (I originally planned on the Sony as our electronic nut son told us that was the one to buy but the electronics salesman recommended the Samsung - we still got the Sony and then returned it.)

We played trailer yesterday and today (in our driveway) while we were finalizing the satellite and blu ray and watched a movie - the picture on the Samsung is just incredible. Got the Genesis working too - sounded good just needs a subwoofer.

I got ya. I need to get one for bedroom. I have my 26" vizio up there right now and that is going to be my outside tv. I will look at the Samsung but prob get a mid range one from Walmart or target. I used to be a huge Sony fan. In my sticks and bricks all if my components were Sony except my amp and surround speakers.

Theresau

Nowadays most of the TVs have a good picture - however, the Samsung stands out still. The Toshiba included in the BC has a very good picture but we could see a big difference between the two and we had one handy in our finished basement so we swapped. All of our TVs at home are Samsung. We were pleasantly surprised when the 2010 BH came with a Samsung. (The RV bedroom and basement area TV's are Samsung too :).) We went with a 24" Samsung TV/Monitor in the bedroom which has a setting for angling the TV (we had a 22" in the BH which was sold with the coach). We added a TV mount in the bedroom as well. We went with a smaller TV so that we could put a lamp on the dresser.

In the basement area we have a 26" Samsung. We're holding off adding a mount there - Joe thinks we need more flexibility - I think it would be good to be on the mount :).

jassson007

I was thinking of a 32" in bedroom on a fixed mount. Not sure about a mount in basement though, don't want to lose storage space. What kind of mount are you looking at using down there?