ATF: Cyclone - Garage AC Unit

gpshemi

Been considering adding a Garage A/C Unit with Heater since my kids sleep in there. The local dealer wants to know if the roof is supported in the garage area to hold an A/C unit. Seems like it would be. I know the unit is prewired in the bedroom, but that's not where I want it. I want it in the garage. Bedroom will freeze you our already. It came with a fantasic fan up there and a thermostat in the garage.

What needs to be done for the install? If it's not pre-wired, how do you run the wires? Dealer wants $1200 plus install which seems...very pricey.

porthole

Retired
Someone on the forum has done this already.
IIRC they ran wire from the panel in conduit along the chassis and up through the garage floor. Nothing fancy.

The garage area of the roof, from what I saw at the factory is built the same as the rest of the roof. And since it has a vent that means it is framed out.

There is room in the ceiling that you could probably run t-stat wires along the duct work and above the cabinets, then either mount the t-stat on the bottom of the cabinet or snake it down the wall alongside the door (the bulkhead wall, not an exterior wall)

It is not a super simple install, but I certainly don' think it is a $1200 job.

gpshemi

Well truth is I didn't even do a search. Perhaps I should have.

In any event, it was $1000-1200 for just the unit, then install. I just won one on Ebay for roughly $150. So the project begins. My 3612 has a thermostat already running up there for the fantastic fan. So I'm hoping to reuse that. I hope to fish my wires through the roof to the corner of the garage, down the back corner rail by the ramp, then under the coach up into the basement and electrical panel. We shall see....

porthole

Retired
Well truth is I didn't even do a search. Perhaps I should have.

In any event, it was $1000-1200 for just the unit, then install. I just won one on Ebay for roughly $150. So the project begins. My 3612 has a thermostat already running up there for the fantastic fan. So I'm hoping to reuse that. I hope to fish my wires through the roof to the corner of the garage, down the back corner rail by the ramp, then under the coach up into the basement and electrical panel. We shall see....

What was the eBay link?

And don't forget to take some pictures!