ATF: Cyclone - Repeated Blown Appliances

wiredawgchief

Tammy, Sorry something wasn't found that is attributable to the blown appliances. I'm not sure about newer TVs and the vacuum, but older ones actually had in-line fuses in them. Might be worth checking. I was reading a few posts down where there was discussion about twisting the main power plug to lock it. It is very tight, but important to do. It can be mad easier by rubbing a little dielectric grease on all your external plugs and receptacles. You can find it at Home Depot and Auto Zone. I'm going to pull my power panel to check connections, especially the main feed. Do you know if anyone physically opened and checked electrical terminations inside your generator/shore power transfer switch. I checked mine and although not loose, were not to torque specs. It helps to be a do it yourselfer owning an RV, but this might help at least calm your fears. There are only four termination points for commercial power coming into your RV...first at the marine grade receptacle, the second is the input feed on the transfer switch, the third is the output feed from the transfer switch and the fourth and final termination is in the power panel. It takes about two to three hours to check them. If ya'll are not do it yourselfers, check your friends and this club for members who are. Worst case, pay the $150-$300 to have an electrician do this for you. Please keep in touch and let us know how it turns out. I'm having ankle replacement surgery next week and will be out of commission for two to three months. Take care, Ron

tammyinwv

Why NOT to buy a HEARTLAND RV? This is a 2013, and now we have even more problems. Water is running out from the INSIDE of the camper. While facing the hitch it is pouring out from the right corner when the end is raised. When will this nightmare end?????????????
http://youtu.be/LtR4INtvoVY

danemayer

Why NOT to buy a HEARTLAND RV? This is a 2013, and now we have even more problems. Water is running out from the INSIDE of the camper. While facing the hitch it is pouring out from the right corner when the end is raised. When will this nightmare end?????????????
http://youtu.be/LtR4INtvoVY
The video seems to show damage to the trim near the leak and separation of the caulking. Did the pinbox contact the truck's bed rails or fall off the hitch?

tammyinwv

There is actually a slight separation of the caulk from the unit on the bottom.We just found that. But I doubt that would allow water to run back up inside. It has NEVER been damaged, or hit anything. we had a Holiday Rambler for over 10 yrs that never did this.

danemayer

I'd suggest a very close examination of all of the caulking on and around the front cap, especially at the top and sides. The area you videotaped looks damaged and looks like it's been recaulked. The separation of the caulking on the bottom of the seam is abnormal and might have a matching condition elsewhere on the front cap allowing water in.

kowAlski631

Wasn't your trailer at your dealer for a month? Have you questioned them on what happened while it was there?

tammyinwv

it was there for a month. We picked it up about 3 weeks ago. I doubt they would admit damaging it now if that occurred. i tried to look it over when we picked it up.
danemayer, thanks for your input.I will let my husband read this, and he can check it out more thoroughly this weekend.
Tammy

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When was the unit built and how long did it sit at the dealer before you purchased it? That corner of your cap looks like the caulking has never been maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

tammyinwv

Well now, I didnt think to look at that on the sticker before, but it says it was manufactured 6/28/2012. We purchased it around Sept 2012. It is a 2013 model.It appears it was only almost 3 months old when we bought it. Someone mentioned on here it looks like it had been re-caulked. So we are going to check it tomorrow since its dark now. To see if it looks like different caulk or something.
Tammy

Last edited:

scottyb

I assume you meant that you purchased it in Sep 2012? The area where the caulk looks messed up also looks to be mildew stained to me.

tammyinwv

update: Spoke with Anthony of heartland,, and he states since tech didnt find the problem on site at the campground...nothing was found, and if appliances get blown a 3rd time like tech feels will continue doing, Heartland will still NOT pay nor honor warranty coverage if they dont find the problem.
Tammy

kowAlski631

I can see Heartland's position. You need to show where the appliance failure was caused by a manufacturer's defect in build. Did you get an electrician to come in?

Martha

tammyinwv

considering this is the second set of appliances blown, the same set, and that the tech ONLY examined what he could do at the campground site, They should do more. They should bring it in for a closer inspection. The tech did find loose wires under the slide out that he repaired, but he felt that prob wasnt the cause. Which may or may not be fact. and who knows when money is involved. if we hadnt installed a surge protector at the pedestal, and had not installed a wired in energy management system before the last failure, I could see heartland being hesitant. We have not payed out MORE money for an electrician yet. We have another trip coming up Wednesday. We bought individual surge protectors for the microwave, vac, and both TV's also. S we shall see what happens now.

I agree with post #37 & #40 by danemayer.
I am a licensed journeyman electrician and strongly suggested you get help from someone who knows what they are doing, not some service tech, who does not have the schooling in this trade.
In my 40 years in this trade, I have seen all sorts of weird things I did not think possible.
Proper grounding of your RV is EXTREMELY important, and that is where I would start my search.
Neutrals and grounds are two (2) separate issues.
You are playing with your life by not doing this because this RV could catch fire or someone electrocuted because of on electrical problem, which you have.
Pay the money and have a professional electrician check out your rig.

Hockster

kowAlski631

Proper grounding of your RV is EXTREMELY important, and that is where I would start my search.
Neutrals and grounds are two (2) separate issues.
You are playing with your life by not doing this because this RV could catch fire or someone electrocuted because of on electrical problem, which you have.
Pay the money and have a professional electrician check out your rig.

Hockster

I agree with Hockster, Tammy. I personally would not do any further trips until a licensed electrician gave me the green light. But that's just my opinion.

CabinetmakerII

It is possible that you have a problem within your power cord, circuit breaker panel, or the plug on your unit. Are you at the same CG again? Someone should do some checking from the power cord to the circuit breaker box in your coach. Are you using a 30 amp or 50 amp service at the CG? Dumb question....are you twisting the power cord to the right to lock it in when plugging in at a CG? If not...you could have issues.

We had a similar problem this past spring. Everything had been workng fine then suddenly, we lost power to the microwave, upstairs tv, and a few other wierd things. Thinking the worse, we dug into the power system (fuse box) and noted we had lost a leg on the power. DW suggested to check the power cord... too simple! Couldn't be the power cord! Afterall, there was AC power to most things in the coach! After about an hour of truble shooting, begrudgingly I went and checked the power cord. Guess what! It was in fact the cord. It had come partially unpluged creating the problem. I need to practice what I preach. KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid! Just my two cents worth.

wiredawgchief

Tammy, I echo the recommendations to get a licensed electrician to check you unit. I spent a career in the Air Force in communications and while stationed at Andrews AFB, had some noise problems from some comm carrier equipment in base housing. Come to find out, the resident housing did not have facility grounds. Folks had been losing TVs and electronics for years. Make it less expensive...have your husband have all the power access points in your RV open. My personal opinion is there is a connection that is not quite tight at the one of the following: fuse power panel, generator transfer switch, or marine grade plug. Another possibility is the ground bar or neutral bar could have a loose termination. Anyway, It my be worth disconnecting and re-terminating all of these. Not fun, but worth the effort. Best of luck, Ron

Last edited: