ATF: Cyclone - roof vent deteriorating to powder

rkofford

I have a 2011 Sundance XLT 287rl the 2 roof vents are falling apart they are letting water into the camper. Is there a way to replace the lid or do I need to replace the entire unit? If you touch them they crumble into pieces

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Spra ypaint them with some Krylon for Plastics or something like it to inhibit the UV deterioration, before you install.

pegmikef

there are several different styles so if you can take what is left of one when you go to purchase new ones. The main difference is in the way they operate.

Lou_and_Bette

I used the MaxxAire vent covers on my old RW, they had long time warranty, covered the old vent cover but allowed it to be opened, could open vent during rain, and could open vent when rolling down the road...all good features and didn't cost much more than replacement vent covers.

P

Paul.craven

I would agree with what most have replied with, and those vents are pretty standard size for most RV's so a replacement should be readily available at most RV parts stores. Sorry to hear of your difficulties

TxCowboy

I had the same issue with the vent cover deterioration that I discovered when cleaning my RV roof last fall. I was washing them off and they cracked to a fine powder. So I picked up a few of the translucent vent covers for about $15 each from my local RV place. They also come in smoked color. Very easy to install, particularly with a helper inside the RV to open and close the vents during the installation process -- saves you from having to climb up and down off the roof a couple of times.

These factory-installed vent covers are cheap and should be replaced every few years just as a preventative maintenance item.

And +1 on the MaxxAir covers that install over the vent covers for all of the reasons stated by another poster above. They will also extend significantly the life of the vent covers.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
I will contact our vendor to see if there is anything we need to be aware of. Thank you for bringing to our attention.

thanks,

AJ