ATF: Cyclone - spare tire

jager134g

why are the spare tires in the cyclone mounted so low ? my opinion is that they should be recessed up tighter to the floor cause I have ripped mine off once already and how come the garage heater ducting only blows cold air ive seen other people complain about this same matter oh and another thing what about a blu ray player in your newer models instead of the regular dvd player. I own the 4100 cyclone 2014 and we love it but those are a couple things that need some attention thank you have a great day

Good questions and I would love to hear the explanation or apology from Heartland.

I am curious to here how you resolve the heater ducting issue. I replaced all my vents with vents that have dampers which might help. Too soon to say. I think I will end up having to make more significant changes to the ducking to resolve the issue.

I dropped the spare tire rack, cut off the brackets on the ends, shortened it enough so that it could be remounted above the frame rather than underneath it. Additionally I was able to remount it closer to the axles. I think it effectively improved spare tire clearance by three inches. I had to move the toy lock. It's a big job. I painted the ends to prevent rust.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436889135.669445.jpg

jager134g

thanks cyclone dave I have a friend who is good with welding and building stuff I was going to have him do the spare tire after my warranty is up but heartland needs to redo there design and raise them up all the to the floor and go in between the cross members it can be done and I use a electric heater in the back from time to time

avvidclif

Mine is hanging at the same level as the level-up system. I think I would rather have the spare drag rather than the hydraulic cylinders. I too thought about raising the spare but couldn't see any advantage.

jager134g

Mine is hanging at the same level as the level-up system. I think I would rather have the spare drag rather than the hydraulic cylinders. I too thought about raising the spare but couldn't see any advantage.

well I actually ripped mine off in the dirt one time as well as my level jacks dug into the dirt and got stuck but raised them up so that does not happen again we go dirt bike racing in some tight and un even areas

My jacks on my 3110 cannot be raised without cutting a hole in the garage floor. They have touched on more than one occasion and they slid smoothly over the pavement, however I fear it is just a matter of time before they are damaged. I am open to suggestions on solving this issue. I have considered raising the rig a couple inches.

jeffdee

why are the spare tires in the cyclone mounted so low ? my opinion is that they should be recessed up tighter to the floor cause I have ripped mine off once already and how come the garage heater ducting only blows cold air ive seen other people complain about this same matter oh and another thing what about a blu ray player in your newer models instead of the regular dvd player. I own the 4100 cyclone 2014 and we love it but those are a couple things that need some attention thank you have a great day

This is a link to my posting last winter concerning using an electric heater in the garage. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/45830-Garage-Heat-Vent?p=402707&highlight=#post402707

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Sorry for late response, but the good news is a year ago we switched to a new spare tire carrier that gave us another 5" of clearance. The garage is ducted for heat, but given the size of the unit provides little heat by the time it gets to the garage and loss of velocity of the warm air. To help with the situation we now provide a 5,000 BTW heat strip in the garage A/C STD equipment to help supplement the heating in the garage. We have also recently changed over to Blu Ray players as well.

Lynn1130

Heat in the garage-That is nice that Heartland now provides heat strips for the larger/newer units but what about those of us who have older/smaller units and NO heat in the garage? I pretty much off-road with the Cyclone while elk hunting and have no issues with the height of the spare tire carrier but the no heat in the garage issue in December is more than a little annoying. The vent provided is pretty much a joke especially when the run is kinked so that it has to be repaired in order to get what little air through it that we currently get.

danemayer

Heat in the garage-That is nice that Heartland now provides heat strips for the larger/newer units but what about those of us who have older/smaller units and NO heat in the garage? I pretty much off-road with the Cyclone while elk hunting and have no issues with the height of the spare tire carrier but the no heat in the garage issue in December is more than a little annoying. The vent provided is pretty much a joke especially when the run is kinked so that it has to be repaired in order to get what little air through it that we currently get.
A ceramic disc heater might be the answer. They're not very expensive and electricity usage might be comparable.

Lynn1130

Kind of hard to do when you are in the middle of the forest without hookups. I use a Bigbuddy but should not have to had the heating system be set up for the entire trailer instead of the wimpy run to the garage.

i have two ceramic heaters for use in RV parks.

Cjackg

Is the new spare tire carrier adaptable to a 2015 Cyclone 3110 ?
Just got the part number and ordered one...#43957
NewTireCarrier.JPG

Updated: 11/1/2015 HL offered to sell me one of the new tire carriers at cost for about $76. but then they quoted over $116 to ship it to TN!
With a quote like that its pretty clear they didn't want to be bothered with it!

The new one is only slightly improved and I can accomplish the same thing by hacking up the orig carrier to relocate it above the frame....

Last edited:

ndmac

Sorry for late response, but the good news is a year ago we switched to a new spare tire carrier that gave us another 5" of clearance. The garage is ducted for heat, but given the size of the unit provides little heat by the time it gets to the garage and loss of velocity of the warm air. To help with the situation we now provide a 5,000 BTW heat strip in the garage A/C STD equipment to help supplement the heating in the garage. We have also recently changed over to Blu Ray players as well.

Bummer....Bought to soon, Missed out on these changes!

Here's what I use. Works good.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_75435-1061-HC300_1z0uatx__?productId=3089889&pl=1

Cjackg

.....I dropped the spare tire rack, cut off the brackets on the ends, shortened it enough so that it could be remounted above the frame rather than underneath it. Additionally I was able to remount it closer to the axles. I think it effectively improved spare tire clearance by three inches. I had to move the toy lock. It's a big job. I painted the ends to prevent rust.
View attachment 38365
I just completed doing the same mod on my 3110... Did some carving on the original tire carrier then remounted it 2 ft forward and above the bottom lip of the frame.
As Dave mentioned it is a tedious job but now I have 14" ground clearance for the tire even though I still have just 12" for the rear jacks.
Tire-Carrier-relocated (1).jpg Tire-Carrier-relocated (2).jpg

Hemi392

This is crazy. I just pulled into my campground and found my spare tire gone! We think we lost it on I95 there was a big jolt while we driving thought someone hit us but never thought to look for spare tire. I am amazed about how things just fall off.

Sent from my awesome red hot smokin iPad mini!

HWaggoner

I am really late in this conversation/thread... but I had the same issue (in 2013) with my brand new 2014 4100 Cyclone on a trip to Florida where I lost my spare tire during a fuel stop in Georgia. I noticed it immediately but by the time I returned to the fuel station... it was gone. :-/

Since then, I have always just kept the spare tire in the garage because I did not want to loose another... but I've always wondered... Why couldn't they mount them on the rear/back-side of the ramp? I've looked for suitable external mounts but wondered if the construction of the ramp was sufficient for drilling and mounting a spare tire mount.

Has anyone ever tried this?