ATF: Cyclone - tire replacement options

Miltp920

My 2014 Cyclone 3100 came with Towmax 23580R16 10 ply tires on 16x6 T09 Sendel rims rated for 3750lbs at 110psi, even though my Towmax are 3520lbs at 80 psi. I, would like heartland to tell me what my tire size options are, using my factory rims? Since my Cyclone is 2 axle, I would prefer to go to a 12 ply or 14 ply tire, since they have increased load capacity 3750lbs to 3960lbs. Tire company recommends 20% margin under max loading. I just weighed my loaded cyclone at 12,360lbs on the 2 axles. This figure does not include the pin weight my truck is carrying. So, my the tire manufacture suggestion of 20% margin, I need a tire rated at 3750 minimum. I can not find a tire in 23580R16 with a load rating of 3750lbs. Seems I have to go to a 23585R16 to get at least 3750. Can the factory tell me that a 12 or 14 ply tire 23585R16 is an acceptable tire for the T09 Sendel rim that came on my Cyclone? OR do I have to rely on my tire store to ensure the replacement tire matches the rim and application for trailer use?

danemayer

Heartland offers an option on many of the larger trailers to order Goodyear G614 tires, which are Load Range G, rated for 3750 lbs at 110psi. If you already have wheels rated at 3750 lbs/110psi, you can change to Goodyear G614s. Some people have instead changed to Sailun load range G tires, also rated for 3750 lbs/110psi, but at a lower price. I believe the Goodyear G614 comes with steel belts that go all the way from bead to bead, rather than just under the tread. That strengthens the side walls significantly.

Whatever you decide, check the outer diameter spec on the tire you intend to buy. On some trailers, if you move to a tire that has a larger O.D., you can end up with tires that are very close together.

Btw, my understanding is that the number of plies for a load range G tire is 14, but it doesn't actually have 14 plies. It's an equivalency statement - it has the strength you'd expect if you actually had a 14 ply tire. Or you can just call it a Load Range G.

Miltp920

Thanks, I had a tire store tell my the same thing about plys today, so you are validated in your understanding. Everything I have researched said F = 12 ply and G = 14ply, but all is well, a 14 ply should be stronger than a 12 ply. Not sure why 14 ply with 110 psi only rates at 3750, when a 12 ply at 95psi rates at 3960lbs load rating? Anyhow, I will buy one of them after I figure out how much cash I can part with. I have read in a few locations that ANY trailer tire is basically a 3-5 year tire. The more you keep them rolling down the road verses standing still under load will increase your tire life more towards the 5 year figure. Anyone out their running over 5 years on their trailer tires thinking they are good for a few more years? IF yes, how many miles have you put on those tires? I was ready to pull the trigger on Sailun 14 ply and my tire salesman told me that he called Sailun and they told him that they recommended NOT mounting their tire on my Sendel 16x6 T09 rims. back to doing more research.

Heartland offers an option on many of the larger trailers to order Goodyear G614 tires, which are Load Range G, rated for 3750 lbs at 110psi. If you already have wheels rated at 3750 lbs/110psi, you can change to Goodyear G614s. Some people have instead changed to Sailun load range G tires, also rated for 3750 lbs/110psi, but at a lower price. I believe the Goodyear G614 comes with steel belts that go all the way from bead to bead, rather than just under the tread. That strengthens the side walls significantly.

Whatever you decide, check the outer diameter spec on the tire you intend to buy. On some trailers, if you move to a tire that has a larger O.D., you can end up with tires that are very close together.

Btw, my understanding is that the number of plies for a load range G tire is 14, but it doesn't actually have 14 plies. It's an equivalency statement - it has the strength you'd expect if you actually had a 14 ply tire. Or you can just call it a Load Range G.

danemayer

Not sure why 14 ply with 110 psi only rates at 3750, when a 12 ply at 95psi rates at 3960lbs load rating?

It could be the tire labeling and certification. In the case of the Goodyear G614, although designed for trailer use, it is certified as an Light Truck (LT) tire. That certification is more demanding than a Special Trailer (ST) label and there's a considerable extra load margin required as part of the certification. If the other tire is an ST, it doesn't have to have the same load margin.

Miltp920

First, no disrespect intended by this question, as I really do not understand...is a moderator a Heartland owner who is helpful like all other member/owners based on their experiences, or do you (moderator) work for and speak for the company Heartland when we post a question...."ask the factory"?

It could be the tire labeling and certification. In the case of the Goodyear G614, although designed for trailer use, it is certified as an Light Truck (LT) tire. That certification is more demanding than a Special Trailer (ST) label and there's a considerable extra load margin required as part of the certification. If the other tire is an ST, it doesn't have to have the same load margin.

jnbhobe

#1 yes , #2 no #3 moderators are owners with years of real world experience who help to answer things for the factory people

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The factory cannot answer all questions in "ask the factory" threads all the time, so Moderators and other owners help by answering sooner, rather than later, if they can.

Miltp920

That is what I thought. THANKS again to all who chime in. I have learned so much about tires in the last few weeks, I feel like I could sell them as well as anyone.