ATF: North Trail - Gas smell from furnace.

PeternLiane

Because I was transferred. I live in my NT 22fbs year round. the furnace hasn't ran since this morning at 5:30 am. I used the stove top earlier 6:15 pm. Why am I smelling gas (propane) from the furnace? What should I look for or what should I do to stop the smell or the gas from flowing? What could be wrong?

danemayer

Peternliane,

Safety first. If you have a continuing smell of propane, this is abnormal and DANGEROUS and unless you're sure you know what you're doing, you need to shut off the furnace and the propane supply and get a certified tech to help you.

If the furnace blower is running, but no heat coming out, and the propane smell is only when you try to start the furnace, you may have a safety lockout condition where the furnace tries to light and fails. In this case, there may be a temporary smell of the gas from when the furnace tried to light.

When the thermostat calls for heat, the furnace blower comes on. If the blower gets up to speed, it activates a Sail Switch that allows the circuit board to turn on the gas valve and operate the direct spark ignition. If the propane ignites, you may hear a whooshing sound from the burner. A flame sensor confirms that the burner has successfully lit and allows the propane valve to stay open. If the flame sensor doesn't confirm the burner has lit, it closes the gas valve as a safety measure. The blower may continue to run and the furnace may go into a lockout condition. You have to turn off the thermostat (change mode) to reset it.

The most common cause of failure is poor propane flow. You may have enough flow to light the burners on the oven, but not enough to run the furnace. If it's almost enough, the burner may ignite but produce only lukewarm air.

Take a look at your propane supply. You may have a failing pigtail or failing regulator. Try changing over to the other tank manually. Try swapping the tanks. If either of these resolves the problem, you've confirmed the problem.

Also look at the furnace vents. One is intake and the other is exhaust. If blocked, or if something has gotten into the vents, it could be interfering with combustion.

Also make sure you haven't blocked the furnace air return inside the RV. If you covered it or put something in front of it, it might be reducing air flow and preventing the blower from running at full speed.

If you've blocked heat registers to try to redirect heat, you can also cause problems, possibly including failure of the over temperature safety sensor.

Again, if you have continuous smell of propane, that's abnormal and very dangerous. Get help.

Here's a link to our Heating and Cooling Guide, which includes some of this information. The furnace info starts on page 15.

Please let us know what you find.

Rickhansen

Peternliane,
I will second everything Dan said.

The only other step I might take as an attempt to diagnose this would be to mix up up some dish soap and a little water and check for bubbles at your gas line fittings and connections. If you find and leaking connections with the bubble solution, you can snug them with a wrench and recheck. I would start at the tank and work toward the furnace.

Propane intentionally has a very strong odor. A very small leak can leave a strong smell for a long time. Take your time and be sure of each connection.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have noticed a propane smell sometimes when the supply is running low. Also when low the stove burners may light and the furnace not. That has happened to us too. Check the tanks to see if you are low. If you continue to smell the propane any spark could cause an explosion so be very very very careful and evacuate the unit and turn off the supply at the tanks until the problem is solved.

PeternLiane

I turned off the gas and left till Sunday. I will switch tanks and have the other one filled. I hope that it works. If not I will have to find out whats going on. Thank you for the responses.