ATF: Sundance - Water and Electricty Strange

bigdob24

I have a 2011 RK265 and was sanitizing the water system and found out that the vent does not work properly. While filling the tank it backs up and won't fill . After blowing out the line a couple times just decided to let the dealer fix the hose . Had to do this on the last one , they dropped the vent hose straight down and put a valve on it , worked fine.THey may have to check the fill hose also.
While trying to figure the water out I loosened the underbelly to see how the hoses where run and when I reached in I was rewarded with a shock , not a full 110 surge more like a faulty ground. It got me the second time as I removed my arm. Not sure if it was the frame or the slide out tube I touched .
Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the fix?? What do you look for and where to start ?
I have been in contact with my dealer and will let them do the fix , but they are kinda stumped also.
Thanks
Dan

branson4020

Icantre Member
Sounds like a neutral-to-ground short somewhere in your rig. Easiest way to find it is to lift the neutrals in the breaker panel one-at-a-time until the problem goes away.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Shocks are not good. First thing that comes to mind is, is the receptical suppling the power wired correctly?
Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

branson4020

Icantre Member
You remove the cover from the circuit breaker panel and then, one at a time, detach the neutral wires from the buss bar. You then check, with your meter, for continuity between that detached neutral and ground. All this is done with your rig unplugged from shore power. But I agree with Dave that the very first thing you should check for is a miswired receptacle.

D

Dave Willis

I've sent this over to service to see if they can help me with this issus. I don't have an answer and as soon as service gets back with me I will let you know what they say.

Thanks,

Snakebite

I would start by using one of those little wiring testers that you plug in to the duplex receptical (wall plug). They are only a couple of bucks at places like Lowes etc. That will show you if you have a netural (white wire) that is open. It will also tell you if the receptical is wired correctly. If you decide to go into the breaker panel and lift each netural wire to check... as stated, remove power from the coach, and then use a ohm meter to check for resistance between each netural wire (while lifted) to ground. The resistance should be very low... in the order of a few ohms only. I think that the little wiring tester is your best bet... remember, when you use it the trailer must be pluged in to shore power.

I know that you checked the shore line, but the discription that you gave sure sounds like the netural in the shore plug is NOT CONNECTED.

Snakebite

branson4020

Icantre Member
I would start by using one of those little wiring testers that you plug in to the duplex receptical (wall plug). They are only a couple of bucks at places like Lowes etc. That will show you if you have a netural (white wire) that is open. It will also tell you if the receptical is wired correctly. If you decide to go into the breaker panel and lift each netural wire to check... as stated, remove power from the coach, and then use a ohm meter to check for resistance between each netural wire (while lifted) to ground. The resistance should be very low... in the order of a few ohms only. I think that the little wiring tester is your best bet... remember, when you use it the trailer must be pluged in to shore power.

I know that you checked the shore line, but the discription that you gave sure sounds like the netural in the shore plug is NOT CONNECTED.

Snakebite

Just one correction here. The resistance should be infinite - not very low. No continuity between ground and neutral in the coach.

bigdob24

I have taken the RV to the dealer as its less than a year old and this is the first time out since I bought it. I will recheck the wiring on my shore plug and confirm all is well.
Thanks for all the info, I will post the results when I find out.
Dan

Snakebite

Are coaches wired differently than the outside world? I'm just asking... for 37 years as an electrician the neutral has been electricly tied to ground at the box.... IF YOU LIFT IT, THEN you would measure an infinite... IF YOU LEAVE IT HOOKED UP, then you measure a very low resistance from the neutral leg to ground. If a high reading was measured, it would indicate an open neutral leg which would cause current in that circuit to flow in the ground leg.

I ADMIT that I am NOT on top of RV wiring, and it may be done differently... I don't see why it would be since it must connect to shore power, but I'm certainly not too old to learn something new. Thanks for the "Heads up".

Snakebite

bigdob24

Spoke with the dealer on the two issues and they fixed the water, just like the 2010 Sundance that I had before there was a low spot in the fill and the vent hoses.They said it was like a p trap.
Not sure why the factory can't eliminate this one just remember,water always runs downhill.
As far as the electric , they checked everything over and could not find any smoking gun. .
Thanks for all the replies
Dan

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, so if the dealer cannot find a problem with the electrical..........then you risk getting more shocks?
Just a silly question, but how did you determine that the receptical is correctly wired? And has the wiring been checked back to where it originates? Breaker panel perhaps.
Just covering all bases here.
Oh, and have you ever been shocked from the coach before or was this the first time?

Peace
Dave

bigdob24

I'm kinda up in the air, what do ya do ?
I will be checking everything I can and rechecking it again. I have some friends that are pretty good attracking down electrical problems and I will be in contact with them also.
Dan