auto reset breaker

NorthCal Bob

Hi,
We have a 2015 3610EL Bighorn and the auto reset 50 amp breaker for the hydraulic legs and slider keeps tripping. The problem is getting worse so I replaced the breaker with a new one. Still tripping when retracting the front jacks, the amp meter indicates over 100 amps then trips. Amperage going down is around 30 amps. Last time it also tripped when bringing the slider in. What else can I check before taking it to the shop? Thanks for any advice.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Check all of your connections. Battery termanals, ground to the frame, positive connection to the shut-off switch, the connection from the switch to the strip of breakers, put a wrench or nut driver on each connection. I would redo the ground to the frame. Mine was a joke.
Also low battery voltage can cause this problem too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Some have had to replace the 50A breaker with a higher amperage breaker. They are not that expensive. If you find good electrical connections, start with a sixty amp breaker. If it trips go to 80A. If you know how breakers are designed and function, you would go with 60A first.

Some have had to replace the 50A breaker with a higher amperage breaker. They are not that expensive. If you find good electrical connections, start with a sixty amp breaker. If it trips go to 80A. If you know how breakers are designed and function, you would go with 60A first.

I had to replace mine on both my 2008 bighorn and on my 2015 big country.
I think they are just weak from the factory. It is a pretty simple thing to change them out yourself.
If I remember right I think they cost me less than $6.00 apiece.

danemayer

Seems odd that the pump would pull way more amps when retracting the landing gear than when extending. Is your amp reading while extending when the coach is actually being lifted?

Also odd that it happens all the time when retracting the gear, but only once when operating the slides.

Maybe take a look at the valve operation and wiring for the landing gear. I'm wondering if you've got a valve that's only opening part way when you are retracting the gear.

In any case, you want to find the root cause. Don't move to a larger breaker unless you're sure you wouldn't be masking another problem.

TedS

Pump power demand increases with increased flow and speed so the motor could draw more amps when retracting. Pumping higher pressure with low flow, speed, takes fewer amps.

I changed to an 80 amp breaker and that eliminated the problem. The motor is a 1hp motor, so it can draw more than 50 amps if it needed to.

wdk450

Hi,
We have a 2015 3610EL Bighorn and the auto reset 50 amp breaker for the hydraulic legs and slider keeps tripping. The problem is getting worse so I replaced the breaker with a new one. Still tripping when retracting the front jacks, the amp meter indicates over 100 amps then trips. Amperage going down is around 30 amps. Last time it also tripped when bringing the slider in. What else can I check before taking it to the shop? Thanks for any advice.

Something sounds wrong here - 12 volts at 100 amps is enough to weld with.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, now I gotta ask, how did you determine that the draw was 100 amps?

Peace
Dave

CarterKraft

Hi
I used a clamp on amp meter. Was that not right?

Yes that would be the correct method outside of a shunt. Make sure your amp clamp is DC rated though, often the off the shelf variety are AC only.

I don't have allot to add about the breaker, the style of breaker I have heard referenced on the hyd pump is a really wimpy device intended for lighting circuits. I would consider a more robust breaker for a higher amperage draw 50A and above especially on motors with high inrush current.

IronJ

They usually begin to fail on retract and only get worse...

Assuming all your grounds and power are good and clean you can either just swap out the breaker or opt for the 80amp retrofit...

I bought a handfull of 50s just in case...but my first replacement is doing fine thus far...

But its not un common to see those hydraulics suck 80 amps...

Factory should have put in 80 amp from get go....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

NorthCal Bob

Thanks Iron, I did swap it out and it is still tripping i sometimes hear a chattering so I'm thinking it might be the solenoid not operating properly, also paralleled another 50 amp breaker with the new one and it tripped again also, will check for voltage drop on the battery tomorrow then if thats good guess I will take it in for repair.

NorthCal Bob

I agree Jerrod thats why I'm Going To measure the voltage drop at the battery tomorrow. I thought I checked all the connections but will recheck that too tomorrow. There are a lot of wires all over the hydraulics cabinet so maybe I missed something. When did u find ur frame ground connection?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I agree Jerrod thats why I'm Going To measure the voltage drop at the battery tomorrow. I thought I checked all the connections but will recheck that too tomorrow. There are a lot of wires all over the hydraulics cabinet so maybe I missed something. When did u find ur frame ground connection?

I did some work on a big horn a while back and the master switch was turned off so the system was trying to run off of the convertor only and it would work for a second then start chattering the solenoid. Once we turned on the master switch and had battery voltage to power the system everything worked fine.
As for my ground I redid it when I did my Battery box Mod and rewire.
Here's the link https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=441123&viewfull=1#post441123

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We haven't had the ground problem with the batteries but did loose the hydraulic pump 50 amp reset breaker that came with the camper. After much discussion with our dealer who at that time only wanted to replace the 50 with another 50 amp, they finally changed out to an 80 amp breaker, also changing the wiring. Upon checking the voltage, the pump was pulling up to 96 amps as it was bringing the slides/legs. We haven't had a problem since then.

NorthCal Bob

Thanks everyone that responded,
I have decided to take it in to the dealer for repair because I have gone as far as I can to resolve the problem. new breaker still kicking out I think there may be a problem with the solenoid or the valve, since I sometimes hear a chattering when retracting. I have an extended warranty so if they decide all is ok and want to put in an 80 Amp breaker then they can I'm not comfortable doing that on my own and voiding the warranty.
Thanks Again to All for your help.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Shoot Bob I just spent the last week at Jackson RV park. I could have came and looked at it.
I need to deliver my old truck up to my mom and dad's in Ione this week if you want me to look at it.
They are off of Jackson valley Rd

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk