Automatic Generator Start (AGS)

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
All,

I have been looking at installing an AGS in my 2010 Cyclone and wanted some feedback from the community on their experiences with these.

Since my Gen is an Onan the first one on the list is the Onan EC-30 or the EC-30W. Both seem tried and true - with the only complaint I've seen from the wireless lossing connection with the base unit ( rendering it useless ) so I'm leaning toward the wired model.

I have also seen some reviews for Xantrex that seem to have some high ratings, but the install may be more difficult since it is not plug and play like the onan.

Basically here is what I'd like to accomplish.

Auto start the generator under the following conditions:

1) when the batteries get low when not connected to shore power
2) when shore power is lost ( unconditional )
3) when in AC mode - and call for cool ( conditional )
4) at a schedule time ( to make sure that the Gen gets run every 30 days )

Other features I would like to see/have

1) quite time awareness
2) re-charge in advance of quite time period

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Does anyone have any one of these installed I'd love to hear what you think.
Does anyone have a different mfg unit installed - I'd love to know what it is and how well it works for you.

Thanks in advance!

jbeletti

There's a guy here on the forum that added the feature. He wanted to AC to turn on based on the interior temp of the coach - for his animals.

In terms of all of your auto-start rules, keep your location in mind. If the coach is in storage or indoors, you won't always want it auto-starting.

avvidclif

I think Onan discontinued the auto start control. Last time I looked I couldn't find one. One website showed discontinued.

szewczyk_john

check out www.magnum-dimensions.com, go to the mobile power links and then to accessories. They have an AGS that will meet several of your rules if you have a magnum inverter and their better remote control. They also have a stand alone version that works with other brands of inverters. I did no research on that model and have no idea if you'd be able to set the rules that you are looking for because I knew that I was getting a magnum model. I just started to clean out my basement in order to install my new inverter mod. I opted not to buy an AGS until I had the system up and running and we saw how it worked for us. I also had to make sure I had the funds available to finish the mod before I began to spend money on expanding it. If I do install one, my only rule will be on the current charge status of the battery bank. I also figured that adding the AGS to my system would be fairly easy to do later on.