Aux fuel tank

bdb2047

Installed a aux tank in bed.Tank had mounting tabs on bottom and at top that lined up with top of bed rail.I bolted to rail and bed.Bed sheet metal is tearing at front corners.I also have viberation issue that I am told they all have.Took to Ford to see what they say.They say problems are because I have or am overloading truck.I have had it weighed several times and not over loaded.Just some info for those that may have same iisues.I have factory hitch

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My tank, (RDS) has mounting tabs only on the bottom.
Maybe you could just remove the top rail mounting bolts to stop the tearing.

Peace
Dave

jayc

Legendary Member
I have an L-shaped 100 gallon tank in my bed. It was bolted down to the floor of the bed and I used a turnbuckle that attached to a ring on the tank and to one of the cargo rings in the bed of my Ram. It has worked well for over two years. Well, except for having to pay so much money to fill that 100 gallon tank...

scottyb

Peace
Dave

I agree. The bed needs to be able to flex. If you make it too rigid, it will stress the metal.

BarneyFife

Peace
Dave

Same brand, no problems like this on my 450. 90 gallons in the tank + 35 in the truck tank and its perfectly fine. No vibrations and the three tabs hold it with no issues.

osims

bsims
My 75 gallon is bolted to the bed thru the tabs welded to the tank, the bolts have rubber grommets to absorb the vibration. This the second truck I've had this tank in over a 4 year period with no problems.

jnbhobe

I had a 40gal and changed to a 60 gal and have bolted the tabs down never a problem. Is your vibration at 40mph.?

tmcran

I've had very good luck with 52gal Titian.Need bed space so the Titan worked great. install where OEM was installed.

bdb2047

I have removed bolts from bed rail.Viberation started only with load and under acceleration.Air bags helped with that did not stop it.Now have without load seams to be all the time but worse 40-60.Ford still says it is normal.

mobilcastle

Your vibration-does it happen when the tank is emty and you are towing or not towing. Motor mount? tires out of balance or alignment? bad wheel bearing? Drive shaft off balance? I think you need to go over your truck with a fine tooth comb-take it to another mechanic. Good luck

jnbhobe

I have removed bolts from bed rail.Viberation started only with load and under acceleration.Air bags helped with that did not stop it.Now have without load seams to be all the time but worse 40-60.Ford still says it is normal.

Ford has tried to fix this but there hasn't been much success, drive shaft changes and pinion angle changes. I just ignore it in mine.

hoefler

Any time you add a rigid fixture to a something that is designed to flex, you will get undesirable results. The tank needs to be mounted to only one plane, the bed. It also needs to have some kind of isolators to reduce vibration and resonating, making simple non-issue noises very loud and noticeable. I have had the same L shaped in 3 different trucks with out any issue. It is mounted to the floor of the bed only, and is mounted with rubber isolators. The only issue I have had with it, like said above, very expensive to fill!