Auxiliary fuel/ toolbox combo

handva

I can find all sorts of tanks for diesels. Is there an aftermarket "large" tank for gas engines, if not, why?

I know "gas jobs" are in the minority when it comes to TV, but just a half-ton hauler.

truknutt

Committed Member
Transfer Flow & RDS Manufacturing offer Gasoline tanks. Most Diesel tanks are "gravity fed" but due to motor vehicle laws, gasoline can't be gravity fed but must be controlled by an electrical fuel pump in case of an accident. This is from the RDS website:

Auxiliary tanks connect to your vehicle’s fuel tank. Diesel fuel can “gravity feed” from the bottom of your RDS tank.
An optional Diesel Install Kit contains the necessary items to economically and easily connect your RDS tank to your OEM fuel tank.

Gasoline auxiliary fueling is allowed, if siphoned from the top of the tank by using an electric fuel pump.

timbuktu

I have the Transfer Flow TraxII 75 gal aux tank in my F350. Combined with my factory 29 gal tank I can hold 104 gal of diesel. I installed the aux tank after our second trip with the FW bc we nearly ran out of fuel while on the road. We had stopped at a truck stop off the Interstate 95 to fill up but found out all pumps were closed due to water in the fuel. We got back on the road and barely made it to the next fuel station...we were on fumes. After that experience the DW told me to buy the aux tank! Now we have moved cross country to California and anticipating a huge increase in fuel back in Feb, I filled up. To date, I still have 84 gal left and paid $3.64/gal, whereas diesel is now $4.20 and had peaked at $4.65. There are many benefits to having an aux fuel tank: increased range, you can stop at preferred locations (truck stops), fill up when you find cheaper fuel, etc. It is by far the best mod I've made to my truck and highly recommend getting one. I really like our Transfer flow tank, although it doesn't have a built in tool box, but they do offer those. As another poster mentioned you can also get a OEM larger replacement if you wish. Transfer Flow also offers those.

bradforx

I have the Transfer Flow Trax II 30 gal with toolbox. It works for me, if I can't get there on 55 gallons of diesel, I don't wan to go.

TheLindsays

We have thought about an extra tank or larger but wondering what this mod would do to my warranty? Not only do we have the factory warranty but also an extra 7 yr Ford Warranty to think about... I was thinking if we got it done at Ford we should be safe.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see what adding an extra tank would do for the warranty. It has nothing to do with the operation of the truck.
Adding a tank was the best thing I have done.
I don't like stopping for fuel with that monster hooked on the back.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

We have thought about an extra tank or larger but wondering what this mod would do to my warranty? Not only do we have the factory warranty but also an extra 7 yr Ford Warranty to think about... I was thinking if we got it done at Ford we should be safe.

I have a 37gal RDS tank in my bed, works great and has no affect on the warranty. I am going to sell it this winter and put in a 60gal.I want to increase my range.

TheLindsays

Thanks very much... I agree... not only do I hate stopping with the trailer in tow and trying to make sure we can get in and out but also making sure we can get fuel when we need it .. I always start looking when we are under 100 miles left on a tank ... so we don't run the risk of getting in a pinch... so basically we stop about every 3 hrs.. would love to get a couple more hours before having to stop or having to find fuel after getting unloaded before going to have fun etc. Thanks everyone... I think its for sure going to be a future upgrade before we make some farther trips again.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a RDS Fuel Toolbox that holds 40 extra gallons. With my Ford F350 having a 37.5 gallon tank, that's 77 gallons fuel. I can go over 600 miles without having to stop. That is about 2 days to travel. So I really do not need to fuel up with the Key Largo on board. But if I do, I usually use a larger fueling station making it easy to get thru. But I usually travel 2 days and fuel up once unhooked.

Speedy

Because the RDS tank ties into the fuel system it will void your emissions warranty because you have modified the fuel filler neck. I would suggest having Ford install it to ensure Ford does not void the warranties.

scottyb

I have the RDS 60 gal L-shaped. I can't imagine pulling anywhere w/o the extra fuel since I am only getting 8 mpg while towing. I discovered that you can't leave the valve open on some trucks like mine, because it confuses the computer when it the truck's tank stays full for an extended period of time, and the fuel guage goes to "E". I called RDS and they were aware of the problem and said that I would have to turn off the valve and let the fuel level go down in the main tank, then open the valve as necessary. I purchased a solenoid valve and wired it to a toggle switch in the truck, but the valve was defective. I'm still searching for the correct 12v valve so I don't have to stop to open / close the valve.

2psnapod2

I have a 2010 F350 and I guess I am lucky then. I just leave the valve open and it does not over fill the OEM tank or confuse the computer. That would be annoying A friend of mine said he used a race care fuel pump to solve the problem with overflow.

scottyb

I have a 2010 F350 and I guess I am lucky then. I just leave the valve open and it does not over fill the OEM tank or confuse the computer. That would be annoying A friend of mine said he used a race care fuel pump to solve the problem with overflow.

Yes it is a little aggravating. That wasn't the way the product was advertised. It doesn't actually overflow, it just stays brimming full and that's supposedly what freaks out the computer. Must just be a GM thing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have found that if I turn the aux tank on when the on board tank reaches 1/4 full I will not confuse the ECM.
WFM.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rrloren

Yes it is a little aggravating. That wasn't the way the product was advertised. It doesn't actually overflow, it just stays brimming full and that's supposedly what freaks out the computer. Must just be a GM thing.

Same problem with my Dodge. I wait till the end of the day then open valve and have a full tank by morning. Thought about installing a solenoid and switch inside but didn't think it was worth the cost or effort. It is nice to be able to pick and choose where to buy fuel,

Speedy

A friend of mine said he used a race care fuel pump to solve the problem with overflow.
That would be me.
I installed the racing fuel pump in order to speed the time it took to refill the tank. Unfortunately I still have the overflow problem and if I'm not careful I can pump fuel past the main tank filler cap. This happened with or without the pump. I need to add a timer or something to remind me that I'm transferring fuel to avoid spills.
I can say that that if I start refilling the main tank before I get below a ¼ tank the fuel gauge and computer do not get confused.

2psnapod2

Yep, John I was talking about you. You caught me....

That would be me.
I installed the racing fuel pump in order to speed the time it took to refill the tank. Unfortunately I still have the overflow problem and if I'm not careful I can pump fuel past the main tank filler cap. This happened with or without the pump. I need to add a timer or something to remind me that I'm transferring fuel to avoid spills.
I can say that that if I start refilling the main tank before I get below a ¼ tank the fuel gauge and computer do not get confused.

Sumo

The stock tank on my Chevy is only 26 gals, so I installed a 70 gal Transfer Flow tank into bed of the truck. This gives me a 1000 mile range when towing.
Because I bought the tank second hand I have a fill switch on the dash. To avoid over filling the main tank I set timer on my fone.

jnbhobe

I have done it both ways, I used a pump and dumped 30gal of diesel down my garage drain. Now I gravity feed to the filler pipe and have a 12v soloniod hooked to a upfitter switch, this works great it won't fill unless the key is on and it works with the fuel gage. This truck even keeps track of how many gallons of fuel it uses and its always right.