Awning Clamps

smp2000

I just purchased a 2013 32BUDS Caliber edition and was curious if I can or will need to use awning claps with an electric awning. Not sure if wind is an issue with the electric style like it has been with some of my older manual awnings. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

danemayer

Hi smp2000,

Welcome to the Heartland Family and to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here along with a bunch of people who are happy to share what they've learned.

I'm sure other owners will jump in shortly to offer advice.

RuralPastor

I just purchased a 2013 32BUDS Caliber edition and was curious if I can or will need to use awning claps with an electric awning. Not sure if wind is an issue with the electric style like it has been with some of my older manual awnings. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I have not seen those used with electric awnings. I have seen tie downs with springs installed to buffer movement during light winds. A general rule is, awnings and wind don't mix.

Mark

smp2000

Great, Thanks for your help... I usually close the awning when the wind picks up, but we tend to get a constant breeze throughout the day while beach camping and i'm always worried of tearing the awning. Thanks again...

Sandie

I am not a fan of electric awnings as mine seem to be up more than down. With our old manual ones, we used de-flappers and ratchet straps to tie down and never had any issues even in high winds, it didn't move at all. I enjoy sitting outside when it rains under the awning, but with rain usually comes wind. I miss doing that. :-/

smp2000

This is a first for us. We just got the trailer and haven't gone on our first trip yet. We have always had good luck with the manual awnings in the past so I guess like everything else we must adapt to the new change and find a way to make it work for us. Looking forward to getting this thing out on the road...

ZNK

No you wont need awning clamps for your rig. Our awning has held up in some pretty strong winds, same as yours. We just tend to fold ours up at night and if we will be gone for awhile. Just need to use common sense to prevent damage.

CliffP

I've seen awning clamps used with the electric awnings but I'm not sure how much faith I'd have in them. We put ours in when the wind picks up. We've been through awning damage with our last TT which had a manual awning. We'd just as soon not have to mess with this one.

sjs731

I use ratchet straps to tie mine down. Of course if it's really high winds I roll it up. De flappers have nothing to hook to on my electric awning. There is no arm next to the awning material.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gettting used to automated trailer life will chore after nearly thirty years ( two class A's, three 5th wheels ) OF MANUAL EQUIPTMENT.
From what I read using tie down straps is OK! Would it be best to use springs or bungies so as to give a litttle room for play ?

JacieB

Did you finally come up with a workable solution for your awning? We just bought a new North Trail and it is our first time with an electric awning...almost didn't get one. We camp on the water with breezes and occassional strong gusts. We tied down our old manual awning but are not quite sure what to do with this one.

Jace

jnbhobe

I've been tieing down my electric awning for 5 yr. Sometimes I wish it would blow away then I could get the manual one I wanted in the beginning, LOL

ParkIt

Might be a double post here...
Agree with Jon, soon as the current one needs replacing it won't be electric.

Have used the spring strap tie down since it can gust in the middle of the night, it kept the tension rod from making too much noise in the bedroom area.

Edit: Awning clamps won't work on ours either, there is too large a gap between the fabric and arm.

Last edited:

KaosAD

I have used tie downs in the past, the downfall is by the time I needed to bring in the awning the wind was already strong, so it was always a fight to get her in. Now I just put out the awning as far as I need, it seems I never have to have the awning all the way out. I adjust the distance as the weather dictates and have never had a problem. Of course I put it in when I leave the trailer and when I sleep, that's where the electric awning shines imho.