awning question on north country

bighep

The carefree awning on my new camper has no adjustment and goes pretty much straight out. As I read through a few posts with people with the same problem I'm wondering if I can just change the shock to a shorter one to let awning pitch more? I was side by side with a friends camper that has the same awning. Everything measures the same except for the fact that his shock is 18 inches and mine is 23 inches.. Any input would be awesome..

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
bighep, Does your awning have any adjustment knobs on either end? I've heard some awning have these and they allow you to "dip" the awning at either end for water drainage. I'm not too familiar with power awnings, they weren't offered back in 06 when I purchased my Bighorn.;)

pegmikef

My carefree awning cannot be adjusted, but some of the newer ones can. There is an automatic dip feature built in to the carefree awnings in that when weight from water during rain is sensed, the awning automatically dips to allow the water to drain. I learned the hard way, that if the awning is staked down it won't dip because apparently one end is lifted to create the drainage angle.