Awning rocker switch gets nothing, but remote does

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Attempted to put out the awning this morning to let it dry out and got nothing from the rocker switch in the panel box. Got the Lippert remote out, and the awning would fully extend and fully retract. Hmm.

How do I determine if its just the 2 way rocker switch (are those common to find to replace?) or the wiring between the awning and the switch?

I'm not the most mechanical, so be gentle with me. I do have a volt meter.

At least this isn't plumbing. :)

Brazos

simsfmly, I recently had my control panel out because one of the rockers had came unplugged. All I had to do was reattach the spade connector and all was well. This might be a simple check to do if other things don't work out for you. Joe

Sniper

See if you got voltage to one side of the switch then go to the opposite side of the switch while pressing the switch. If you do not have the same voltage the switch is bad. Hope this helps.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Remove the switch from the wall and check that the connections are secure. Then use your VOM to see that you have 12V at the switch terminals. There may also be a 12V fuse for the awning, but it's not likely the awning would work at all if it was blown.

danemayer

Bob, if the back of the switch checks out, you may have to empty your cabinets and find the panel cover (use a flashlight - everyone has trouble seeing it) for the remote control's receiver. I'm not sure how it's wired, but since it also closes the circuit to the awning motor, there could be a loose wire at that end.