Awning shade screen recommendations?

Miltp920

Looking for awning shade screen recommendations? We love our shade. I bought an awning shade screen once but it was extremely hard to get into the track in the awning, so I took it back. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that is easy to get in and out? I assume you slide it into the track and use it when you need it, and remove and store it when not in use. Seems to me it should be easy on and easy off. Our longest awning is around 20 feet.

SilverRhino

We made our own.....Purchased shade fabric material at Lowe's and then my wife used her sewing machine to attach holders that we purchased at CW. The holders come 8 in a package and are supposed to be used to attach lights to the awning. Each one is about 2 inches wide and I believe she used 6 of them evenly spaced. They easily slide in the awning tube and can be quickly removed.

Hey SilverRhino, any chance you could post pictures of your shade screen someday? We sure would like to see it for ideas. I know A&E/Domestic makes them but I have never seen one by Carefree of Colorado, which are the one's most of us have on our rigs.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've had a Patti-o-Shade screen for a few years now. It slides into the slot in the main awning roller. Actually rolls up with the awning when we pull it in when we leave the rig. I remove it and fold it for storage over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAdams

If you don't want to remove by sliding it out all the time you may want to look at something like this. You unzip it and a piece 1 to 2 ft piece stays in place that can be rolled up with the awning. I do not have this personally yet so I can not vouch for the quality.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
If you don't want to remove by sliding it out all the time you may want to look at something like this. You unzip it and a piece 1 to 2 ft piece stays in place that can be rolled up with the awning. I do not have this personally yet so I can not vouch for the quality.

I had one like that. Ordered it from a vendor at the Tampa RV Show several years ago. Well made and really did a good job of keeping the sun at bay. And I loved the ease of unzipping it leaving about a foot long piece still in the channel when I needed to roll up the awning. Problem is, I can't remember the name of the vendor. I do remember they were from Florida. The one I have is too short for my new camper. This Newport had real high awnings and the shade won't go down far enough to provide adequate protection.

08fxdl

I have an awing extension from shadepro.net. It is attached, by a zipper, to the awing to a one foot extension. Good quality and appears to be rugged.

MTPockets

I don't recall the brand, but I got mine at Camping World. It's about 12 ft long. Slides in and out of the awning roller groove easily and is of heavy duty screen material and tie down grommets - works well for us

08fxdl

The company is located in California. The one foot extension slides into the awning roller grove and remains there when you power the awing closed. The extension is zipped onto the extension when needed. There appears to be several quality produces available.
Dick

Miltp920

I like this alot. the Zipper idea seems to be liked too. Thanks

AAdams

There is a company called RV Shade Company that also has the awning drops as they call them. I was quoted a few month ago $495 for a 6' drop 17' long. They sew a zipper 6" down to roll up and then 5'6" is removable. It includes the budgie and hooks, you have to supply the anchor ( like screw augers like to tie a dog out with or cinder block ). I believe all their distributors are independent so price may vary. A couple of the distributors do travel the US so you can check their site for where they are. I think one is in Colorado now.

Snow

You might want to check out this web site Outdoor rug co .com we meet them at the outer banks and he made it while we were at the campground ,I think it's like 16ft long x 8ft wide 250.00$ 3 yrs ago , a 2 ft piece stays on the awning and you install the other 6 ft with S hooks vary heavy duty material blocks the sun and wind good luck ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

SilverRhino

The one that we made using the shade material from Lowes is the full length of our awning and close to 7 ft....... Total cost was less than $40, but of course it does not have a zipper. For what we saved on the cost I think I will continue to take it on and off the awning tube :rolleyes:

Miltp920

Well, I just ordered the EZ Zipper by Carefree Awnings. Mine is a Carefree Awning, not that that matters. I measured the awning is 8 feet up from the ground. Having that 2 feet always hanging from the roller, and only having to reach up 6 feet to ZIP the rest of the shade on I think is going to be money well spent. Thanks for all the input. Update with photo.
EZ ZIP sun shade.jpg

Last edited:

Trillian

We have an awning drop with the zipper and have had it installed in the track for about two years. We now need to remove it but so far have been unable to do so. It moves freely in the track in the space where the awning is a little longer than the drop but we can't get it to come out the end of the track. Has anyone had a similar problem. We're at a loss as to how to get it out.

jimtoo

Hi Trillian,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Hopefully some of our other members with the type of shade that you have will jump in soon with some help for you.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jimtoo

We have an awning drop with the zipper and have had it installed in the track for about two years. We now need to remove it but so far have been unable to do so. It moves freely in the track in the space where the awning is a little longer than the drop but we can't get it to come out the end of the track. Has anyone had a similar problem. We're at a loss as to how to get it out.

You know... thinking back here...a few years ago I had some awning lights that slipped in the groove of the tube that the awning rolls up on. I had not used the awning for a couple of months. I extended the awning and started to install my lights and could not get them to go in. A bee or bug had plugged up the slot. So I had to use a knife blade or something to go into the slot and clean it out. Maybe this has happened to you. Get a knife or something to put in slot and make sure it is open all the way to the end.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

Trillian

Just to let everyone know -- my husband decided to have one more go at getting it out and he succeeded. We still don't know what was preventing it from coming out.