Awning

MallardHead

This is our first travel trailer that has a power awning, sure gonna love that feature for sure.... But here is our question.... what does everyone find as the easiest way to clean it? Can you lower both sides down so that it is sloped for easier washing? Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi MallardHead,

You only have to apply a cleaning solution to one side and then roll it up for 5 minutes before rinsing. This folder has a Dometic Tips and Tricks sheet with more info.

MallardHead

Hi MallardHead,

You only have to apply a cleaning solution to one side and then roll it up for 5 minutes before rinsing. This folder has a Dometic Tips and Tricks sheet with more info.
Thanks danemayer, will give that try very soon. Ours unit was a demo for the local speedway so the awning is somewhat dirty and was put up wet, has some spots on the underneath that working on to clean up good, some have come off but some are "tougher" to get to remove, have any solutions to use...have used a camco mildew spray and awning cleaner... Thanks

sengli

I used a extendable pole type soft bristled brush, to not only clean the RV with...but I use that same brush on my awning too. I used a mild bleach and soap solution. Scrub it till it looks good, and then leave it out till dry.

Bogie

I use mild soap and a car washing mitt. I open the awning about two to three feet. Then working off a ladder I start at the top washing both sides. I then extend the awning a few more feet and wash that portion. Then I just keep going until done. I find that this method lets me put a little more pressure on the fabric on particularly dirty spots. This has worked well for me so far.

farside291

I use Tide powder detergent. Works great and minimum scrubbing. Mix it with water kind thick and apply with a brush and roll back up for a few minutes.

avvidclif

I'm still looking for my notes but on our last trailer I mixed a gal of water and "Tilex Mold and Mildew" cleaner in a hand sprayer. Roll out the awning and spray the underside thoroughly. Roll it up and wait 30 min. Unroll and rinse off. Repeat if necessary. Remove all black marks, pollen stains, etc, and leaves it shiny white on the bottom. Top is clean also. I never had to do it over twice to get a like new awning. No scrub, nothing, just spray and rinse.

Found it Tilex Mold and Mildew, corrected text.

CaptnJohn

For mold and mildew my marina uses X-14. Works fantastic. I keep a bottle in the 5er ~~ spray and hit with a soft brush or cloth, rinse.