B&W hitch for the Ford 5th Prep package

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I have not seen any pictures here so I figured I would post some up. This hitch is rated for 20k. Cost about $800.

One thing is you may have to adjust the 4 locking pins as they may not be set perfect for your truck. They could be to light or to tight.

Also you can put a long shank lock in place of the pin securing the two pins to keep sticky hands away
yhaqazen.jpg

yzenusa5.jpg

anyte4y4.jpg

umeje9u5.jpg

This is the original Companion hitch and I just bought the Ford base from the dealer as they were cheaper then buying it from BW. $475
ygu6a7yg.jpg

scottyb

So I take it that you already owned the companion, and only needed to purchase the new base to fit the lugs of the OEM prep? I assume that if the Ford did not already have the factory prep, you would only have to install the turnover hitch for the Ford, and use the already acquired companion. Seems like that cost of the turnover gooseneck hitch was around $550 installed. I'm trying to decide which is the best and cheapest way to go.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
You are correct sir.

A Couple things I do like with using the B&W with the ford per vs with the turnover is there are four points of secured mounting and I only have to get in the bed once to remove the hitch.

With that said, I would still run the companion over other brands if I did not have the prep.

Not sure on the fords but I have install the B&W turn over ball in 3 dodges and 1 gmc. They are pretty easy to install. Just need a hand to hold up the plate when bolting it in.

porthole

Retired
Never liked the concept on how the B&W mounted. But if this was available when I bought my truck it would have been a serious contender for the bed.

I take it that those silver colored arms in the one picture are all the holds the hitch up? And I'm guessing they are fairly stout?

scottyb

I'm curious about it's function as well. Do the arms rotate and lock the pins in the sockets?

P.S. Never mind. I found it on B&W's website. Looks like the handles rotate 1/4 turn to lock it down.

Last edited:

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
That's correct, it's a 1/4 turn to lock them in place.

It is very stout setup. This hitch is rated at 20k where the companion is rated for 18k.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Never liked the concept on how the B&W mounted. But if this was available when I bought my truck it would have been a serious contender for the bed.

I take it that those silver colored arms in the one picture are all the holds the hitch up? And I'm guessing they are fairly stout?

If you are comparing this hitch to the Reese hitch that is meant for the Ford Prep. The B&W is far superior.

TXTiger

I didn't know that the B&W was available as an alternative to the Reese Elite when I bought my F-350. I did go with the 25K Reese instead of the 18K just to have more hitch. Not sure if it was a wast of money but I like it. Has not been removed at all since I installed it though so not so sure how easy it will be to remove if I need to use the bed of the truck.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I am sure the Reese is as easy to remove as the B&W is. About a 1 minute job to remove. The B&W is also rated for 20k when using the ford prep mount.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Like Mattpopp says, my Reese 20K comes out in less that an minute - four pins and it's done. It is heavy - one strong person (my son), or two older folks like me.

porthole

Retired
If you are comparing this hitch to the Reese hitch that is meant for the Ford Prep.

No, I was referring to the way the B&W mounts, torquing it down and using the truck bed for support before the Ford adapter was available.

The B&W is far superior.

And you have facts to back that up? :cool:

My issue with comments here is people answering the question with comments about other brands yet their experience with them ends after they heard something.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
No, I was referring to the way the B&W mounts, torquing it down and using the truck bed for support before the Ford adapter was available.

And you have facts to back that up? :cool:

Yes, Reese hitches are basically built and welded by a machine. They have a QA inspectors that do random spot checks on the final product. By time a product is found to have a issue some have shipped and they must be intercepted. But can easily still find its way to a customer.

B&W are 100% made by people and are welded by a guy and not a machine. Issues are found at that moment. Compare the welds from a Reese to a B&W and you will see.

There is even threads of Reese welds failing, you won't find that from B&W.

Last edited: