B&W hitch storage

alexb2000

I love having a fifth wheel hitch that adapts to a gooseneck because I use my truck daily for things other than towing a 5er and I need a clean bed. I'm sure everyone that paid for the B&W has similar reasons.

OK, great, but where do I put this thing when it's not in the truck?

putting it out on the ground was a pain, especially when you have to pick it up. That and it always seems to be in the way.

My solution was to go down to the Habitat for Humanity yard and buy a made in the USA computer desk for $5. It came with 3/8 threaded feet which I replaced with threaded casters for Walmart ($3.80 each). I took off the keyboard tray and notched a wider slot for the bottom of the hitch to sit. Works great, rolls, no more dead lifts, and it cost less than $25.

Just a low cost idea for those trying to figure out what to do with their hitch.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Dennyha

I store my hitch on a mover's dolly. It sits lower to the ground, but it is easy to push around when it's in the way.

alexb2000

I store my hitch on a mover's dolly. It sits lower to the ground, but it is easy to push around when it's in the way.

Did you build it up? The square tube hangs below my hitch about 6", makes it tough to store because it doesn't lay flat. Not picking it up from down low was part of my motivation as well, or I might have done something similar.

nice job.

Thanks.

mlpeloquin

Great solution, but be careful. Computer desks are not made to hold a lot of weight. It does the trick, but keep a close eye on the welds at the bottom of the desk. That is where the week point is. You might get some metal and install gussets to add strength on each side at the bottom.

alexb2000

Great solution, but be careful. Computer desks are not made to hold a lot of weight. It does the trick, but keep a close eye on the welds at the bottom of the desk. That is where the week point is. You might get some metal and install gussets to add strength on each side at the bottom.

This thing is US made and really stout for a computer desk. The top is solid and 1-1/2 thick, steel legs and back support, etc. The old office furniture is some good stuff and can be had at almost every Savation Army, Habitat, etc. for next to nothing since no one wants a desk of any kind anymore.

BTW- Not a hint of wobble.

MTPockets

Mine is a Reese, but similar with the pucks that go into the truck bed.. I just leave mine hooked up onto the pin box, release the levers on the hitch, then raise the front of the fiver and drive away... It's really very easy to do and replacing just as simple. I also put a padlock on the release to deter theft.

Dennyha

I bought my movers dolly from Harbor Freight. It's only 4 pieces of wood covered with carpeting, sitting on 4 caster wheels. I don't use a gooseneck connector. My hitch is attached with the RAM puck system.

alexb2000

I bought my movers dolly from Harbor Freight. It's only 4 pieces of wood covered with carpeting, sitting on 4 caster wheels. I don't use a gooseneck connector. My hitch is attached with the RAM puck system.

How do you get the hitch from the movers dolly in/out of the truck?

SNOKING

Until last month when we sold the stick built I did this with a HF electric hoist. 270 pounds with one thumb! 9th ceiling in garage helped a lot.

Got to figure out what I am going to do now. Maybe just buy a small untility trailer and leave the hitch in the truck. Or when I build a new shead next spring on our other RV lot across the street, maybe I will include an I beam to hang to hoist on that sticks out the front far enough to pick the hitch out of the truck and roll is it back into the loft. Sheds can be 120 spuare feet (10x12) and 12 feet for the floor to the peak of the roof. Most build barn style roof to create large lofts for storage. Chris