B&W OEM companion hitch information

beck-mark

looking for some specific information about the B&W companion hitch for ford puck system. Hitch arrived this week and looking to put it together. will be mounting in F350 with 8 foot box. Can anyone with this exact hitch and truck give me the position it is put together in, as in top, middle, bottom and forward or rearward. I know all campers are not alike and not all pin boxes are set up the same I just want a starting point that may be the right one instead of a guess that's probably not the right one and have to take all apart again and put back together. Would appreciate all responses to be from someone with first hand knowledge of this set up. Pics would be a great help. right now mine is in 2 boxes in garage.

RoadJunkie

Piece of cake, just installed one. First, the hitch base should be oriented with the factory branding facing toward the tailgate when the hitch is mounted to the bed. The vertical uprights can only be mounted in two positions; one position places the hitch head a couple of inches forward of the second position option . Since you have the long bed, you can probably choose the forward position. Short bed users mount in the rearward position to get that little extra distance away from the cab. It is simply a matter of orientation of the upright pieces. Since king pin weights differ on any two rigs, I would start by mounting the vertical uprights in the middle height position, there is only three height positions. Torque the bolts to 80 ft/lb. Remove the plastic caps from the in-bed pucks, leave the plastic doughnuts in place. Rotate the base handles outward 90 degrees and install base onto mounts. Return the locking handles inward 90 degrees. You should feel resistance, but it should not take crazy pressure to turn the handles. If the handles are either too loose or too tight, adjust by removing the cotter pin and adjusting the castle nut on the handle. Before mounting the head on the base, grease the black pivot shoulders on top of the uprights. Place the head on the upright shoulders and work to rock the head home on the upright shoulders. The spring-loaded handles should snap into place when you have fully reached the operating position.

disclaimer: read and follow your manual's instruction. The narrative above is based on my experience but I am not responsible for how you may use the information to assemble and operate the hitch.

scottyb

I agree with RoadJunkie. With a long bed, move the weight as far forward as possible. The Ford side rails are not as tall as the GM I had previously. I ran mine on the middle height position and had tons of clearance for the bed rails. I sprayed the nylon shoulders with silicon spray every time I re-installed the hitch. The beauty of this setup is that it is so user friendly, you will not mind removing the hitch often. I even removed mine and left it in the garage of the Cyclone when I was leaving it somewhere for a few days. No problem.

BLHFUN

Here is the position I used using the companion on a ford f350. I'm a little lifted, so I'm in the lowest, most rear (facing the cab) position to place the king pin directly over the duals. image.jpgimage.jpg

beck-mark

Re: B&W OEM companion hitch information

I agree with RoadJunkie. With a long bed, move the weight as far forward as possible. The Ford side rails are not as tall as the GM I had previously. I ran mine on the middle height position and had tons of clearance for the bed rails. I sprayed the nylon shoulders with silicon spray every time I re-installed the hitch. The beauty of this setup is that it is so user friendly, you will not mind removing the hitch often. I even removed mine and left it in the garage of the Cyclone when I was leaving it somewhere for a few days. No problem.

Thank you Scottyb. I was thinking about a spray lube I get at lowes that has lithium grease in it. it drys to a very light coat, the slicon spray sounds even cleaner though.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the position I used using the companion on a ford f350. I'm a little lifted, so I'm in the lowest, most rear (facing the cab) position to place the king pin directly over the duals. View attachment 39320View attachment 39321

Thanks for the pics BLHFUN, great info hear I wont be lifted stock highth for me.

scottyb

Re: B&W OEM companion hitch information

Thank you Scottyb. I was thinking about a spray lube I get at lowes that has lithium grease in it. it drys to a very light coat, the slicon spray sounds even cleaner though.

Beck-mark, my apologies. I was thinking lithium and I said silicon. It is the white lithium spray that I used, WD40 brand. It makes a very minimal mess.

'Lil Guy'

Here is the position I used using the companion on a ford f350. I'm a little lifted, so I'm in the lowest, most rear (facing the cab) position to place the king pin directly over the duals. View attachment 39320View attachment 39321
That looks like the one I have for my 3500 Ram. That unit is for the turnover ball mount, isn't it? My truck is lifted some and it seems a bit tall. Maybe 2". He dwas referring to the puck mount OEM set up.

beck-mark

That looks like the one I have for my 3500 Ram. That unit is for the turnover ball mount, isn't it? My truck is lifted some and it seems a bit tall. Maybe 2". He dwas referring to the puck mount OEM set up.

you are correct baker I have the puck system, the OEM hitch.