B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion

Picking up new 2013 Big Horn 3070RL about 2weeks. First 5th Wheel. Anyone have comments/tips for B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck with Companion 5th Wheel head? Plans are currently for this hitch to keep truck bed clear when not towing. thanks

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I've used that set up in my Dodge and like it very much. My Ford came with the Reese hitch package installed from the factory or I would have it in the Ford too.

CrazyCooter

I use one but I'm still not sure about it's strength. I do like the clear bed floor though......

On my Death Valley trip driving slow, 2-4 mph on a rougher road I hopped in the back and had the wife drive for a bit. The companion was flexing so much that the Morryde didn't move at all....... Going to take a video next time and ask B&W about it.

I checked the torque on everything when we got stopped, but everything was good.

We are quite a bit heavier than you will be and our Ti front cap adds a lot of leverage when rocking side to side...maybe that is it.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have had the B&W Companion hitch since 2007 and love it. It did have a minor problem that I fixed.

The Goose neck is good for 33k and the Companion 5th Wheel is good for 18k. This should handle about any trailer a 1 ton TV can carry.

Upon the installing the Companion back in the bed receiver many make the mistake of only lowering the receiver bar (called the RV Post) down to the first hole. Unscrew the bolt on the receiver bar to let it drop down further. There should be a space between the receiver bar and the companion frame. I made this error also. Once the receiver bar is all the way down pull it up to let the pin close in the top hole. Then you can take up the slack by screwing in the draw down bolt and torque it to 40 ftlbs. You can not move the Companion at this time. If the companion moves you are using the wrong hole in the receiver bar. This is not stated in the instructions. The bar in the instructions shows only one hole, but mine has two holes.

From the installation instructions...
Place the RV Base over the RV post so that the U-bolts wrap around the RV post. (PIC E) Then place a ½” washer (E) on the ½” x 3” draw-down bolt (B), insert the bolt through the hole in the top flange of the RV base and hand-thread the draw-down bolt into the RV Post. **NOTE: DO NOT lubricate the draw down bolt or U-bolts, the torque value is for dry threads.
Square the RV base legs with the ribs of the truck bed and then tighten the ½” x 3” draw-down bolt to 40 ft-lb. Next, tighten the two u-bolts to 80 ft-lb. to secure the RV Base to the RV Post. It is very important that the draw-down bolt is tightened before the U-bolts are tightened. When the RV Base is installed correctly, the RV Post should have a ¼” to 1” gap between the RV Post and the RV Base where the draw-down bolt attaches.(PIC F) Also, you should not be able to disengage the latch pin in the wheel well when the base is installed correctly.

I hope this helps.

BTW, not to slam other hitches but the B&W has jaws that close like the Semi hitches and opens easily. I have watched many others having to beat on their hitch to open it and also having to get a bed saver to catch the pin box incase it does not lock correctly. This is not a problem with the B&W.

BC

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Have the B&W over 3 years and love it. Have removed the hitch to clear the bed for use and re-installed it many times. No problems and issues at all.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I agree with Bob on the jaws. I find the B&W handle and jaw set up much more user friendly than the Reese.

CrazyCooter

Mine is installed correctly in the top hole and has a 1/2" gap between the post and the companion. This is why the flexing is making me feel a little uneasy.. A lot of the flexing I saw was side to side which is in the uprights and rubber isolators.

I had it adjusted all the way up and back as far as allowed. I know this is the worst possible scenario as it places the most leverage on the system. I have since lowered it 1" and we'll see how it goes.

I noticed right away when leaving on that trip that the ride was horrible despite installing the Morryde box since last tow. It was better before all that! This is why I decided to take a ride in the back.....

The jaws are awesome! No guessing as to if they are locked or not. We always camp on uneven surfaces and have never had an issue getting hooked or unhooked.

navyAZ1

I started with the B&W hitch many years ago & 3 trucks ago, it is now in it's 4th truck. At the time when we first started using it we had a farm with show horses and I needed to be able to switch back and forth from a goose neck to a 5th wheel. This is IMHO one of the best built hitches out there, commenting on the jaws when you close them it is evidently a very positive lock when you close them. The reason I say this is back in 2007 we had been in LA and heading back to GA the first day out we had been on I-10 for about 2 hours or so and pulled into a rest area. I was walking around doing my visual check like I do at all stops and noticed I had gotten distracted during hitching the coach to the truck and had not placed the safety pin in the jaw locking arm. YIKES!!! you can imagine the sinking feeling I had, however the hitch had stayed locked in place during all the rough bumps and rolls on I-10, this hitch to me is very impressive. Happy Travels.

Ron:eek:

tcfake613

I installed a B&W when I bought my first fifth. I've installed four all on Ford F-350s. Very easy install... got it down to less than two hours. It is extremely easy to remove and have nothing left in the bed. It works so easily hitching and unhitching. Even when you back into a spot and the truck is cocked to one side and the trailer is level, it is very easy to unhook. I've seen guys with Reese's banging on them and jumping up and down on the truck to get them seated or unseated.

In our group... with four of us using them, have never had one appear to flex even slightly. Buddy of mine pulls a Mobile Suites at around 18,500 loaded and it works like a charm... absolutely no flex or movement.

Zuey

We have the B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion in our Ford F350. This was the setup that was recommended to use at the RV Dealership that sold us our Bighorn 3670. We have had this setup now for almost 4 years and we have had no problems. I did add air bags and an onboard air compressor.