Backsplash questions

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Looking to add a kitchen backslash. Any recommendations on tile, adhesive and grout. Anything specific for RV use? Thanks.

Post pics if you got them. Need ideas.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We did ours in the Bighorn using exactly the products you would use in your house, and applied the mastic right to the wall board...no problem. We found small 1 inch tiles on 12x12 sheets that were half the thickness of regular tiles at lowes...less weight and theyworked perfectly!

JWalker

We did ours in the Bighorn using exactly the products you would use in your house, and applied the mastic right to the wall board...no problem. We found small 1 inch tiles on 12x12 sheets that were half the thickness of regular tiles at lowes...less weight and theyworked perfectly!

I would imagine the lighter the better. What Ginger was looking at yesterday, I would need to add another axle to the trailer.

GlenStMary

I've added a back splash to both the kitchen and the bathroom. For the kitchen I used those metal ceiling tiles from Lowes and for the bathroom I used some 1 inch tiles from Lowes as well. For the kitchen installation I used a peel and stick adhesive made specially for that product and after a year, the tiles are still holding well. I did purchase some matching edge banding to make the installation a little neater looking and had to do some cutting around our window trim to make the fit look better. As for the bathroom backsplash, I used regular mastic and grout just as I would if installing it in the home. I've included a link below that has a couple pictures so you could see what ours looks like. Good luck with your project and let us know how things turn out.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...sted?p=346071&highlight=Backsplash#post346071

Mrsfish

My rig came with a brown decorative board for the backsplash. I really want to replace it but can't figure out how to get the board off without damaging the trailer walls. I know people have done this successfully....anyone want to share how?

JWalker

My rig came with a brown decorative board for the backsplash. I really want to replace it but can't figure out how to get the board off without damaging the trailer walls. I know people have done this successfully....anyone want to share how?

Good question....

jo9463

That is the exact one we got as well. Just have been too lazy to complete the project. Lol

Yeah...he took down the old backsplash cause "he wanted to see how easy it was to take off" and hasn't put the new up yet...lol. He did they a few weeks ago.

We ordered the Murano Dune. He didn't like the Bellagio.

JWalker

Yeah...he took down the old backsplash cause "he wanted to see how easy it was to take off" and hasn't put the new up yet...lol. He did they a few weeks ago.

We ordered the Murano Dune. He didn't like the Bellagio.

Crack the whip.

What color cabinets do you have. We got the dark cherry we wanted. Can't agree on anything.

jnbhobe

Jamie, If you use these lay it out completely first, the instructions are not too good, there is a right way and a wrong way and its easy to screw up.

happykraut

Actually the board comes off fairly easy. The work comes in getting all the silicon glue off afterwards. Just apply steady pressure as you're trying to pull the board off the wall. At the same time use a putty knife to "cut" the silicon glue behind the board. Work at it from all sides that you can reach. Don't pull so hard that it will tear the wall. Remember that it will be covered again with your new tile.

Mrsfish

Actually the board comes off fairly easy. The work comes in getting all the silicon glue off afterwards. Just apply steady pressure as you're trying to pull the board off the wall. At the same time use a putty knife to "cut" the silicon glue behind the board. Work at it from all sides that you can reach. Don't pull so hard that it will tear the wall. Remember that it will be covered again with your new tile.

Tank yu, tank yu bery mush (my digital Elvis impersonation)

pegmikef

DW couldn't decide on a tile pattern so here's what I did for the interim.

Attachments

• after2.JPG
    after2.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 136
  • after1.JPG
    after1.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 113
  • before.JPG
    before.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 105

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We didn't want to add more weight to the coach, especially on the slide, so we added a back splash that we also got in the store at home depot. Here's the end result:
BC backsplash.jpg

porthole

Retired
Was looking around Costco the other night and they had a backslash kit that had stainless tiles, matte finish.
Looked like a good idea for a trailer.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
We didn't want to add more weight to the coach, especially on the slide, so we added a back splash that we also got in the store at home depot. Here's the end result:
View attachment 30995

We installed this at home and I love it! It is easy to install and keep clean. Anything that splatters on it comes off very easy even spaghetti sauce. Very light weight and they come in various colors would highly recommend for the camper. Good luck in your search