Backup Camera - suggestions?

HOOKERUP

Re: Camera

Thanks for the info.I am going to order the observation set up from amazon. I have a good friend in Franklin TX,now if I can only get DW to take the ride out west.

jhardin

Thanks for the info.I am going to order the observation set up from amazon. I have a good friend in Franklin TX,now if I can only get DW to take the ride out west.
HOOKUP
You may want to look around, I ordered mine the other day from Walmart which is coming from Campers Paradise LLC. Free shipping. I think it was $316 total. After I ordered, I found some on ebay, free shipping for about $280. Just be sure it is a backup and observation unit. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

FOS48TAPK-BL is the high speed observation camera with the mounting bracket.

They sell a version without the mounting bracket, but from what I've seen it's slightly higher?? We bought the one with the bracket, based on price, even though we didn't need it. Can't hurt to have extra parts just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhardin

Mine is the same part number as you have. I watched the YouTube series on this and they claim people that by just the backup camera have problems with cutting off and freezing going down road. To be sure and get an observation / backup camera. The part number you mention is on all the sites of lower price cameras I have stated above.

TxRoadWarrior362

I installed this today. My RW was pre wired for a camera, but the hot was dead. I wired it into my running lights.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 53

jhardin

Since I haven't got a prewired spot for my camera, could someone tell me what kind of screws to attach the camera to the RV. Self taping , wood ? My next concern, is just the fiberglass sheeting all that's going to hold the screws or do I need to put some type of silicon under it to help hold also?

Oregon_Camper

I installed this today. My RW was pre wired for a camera, but the hot was dead. I wired it into my running lights.

My Bighorn does not have the pre-wired solution. :(

Does the package you bought some with the wires you need in order to tap into the running lights?

If so, all I'll need is some calking to go over the screw holes....right?

TravelTiger

It comes with a little wiring harness. It also comes with a rubber grommet that fits snug between the rig and the mounting bracket. Only one hole for the wire in the center. The screws also are included, and look like they are self-tapping. We added some butyl tape to where the screws go into the fiberglass to help seal them.

Here's the manual.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/921583/Furrion-Fos48tapk-Bl.html

Az_Ernie

My Bighorn does not have the pre-wired solution. :(

Does the package you bought some with the wires you need in order to tap into the running lights?

If so, all I'll need is some calking to go over the screw holes....right?
Hello Jim,

We recently installed our Furion. Install was straight forward and very easy. We hooked ours up just under the center running light on the rear cap, tapping into the light's wiring. The gasket that came with the camera would have probably sealed just fine, but I put Dicor sealant at each screw and a bead around the supplied rubber gasket. Have not had an opportunity to tow with it yet, but will be attending a rally next week and will get to try it out. Good luck with your install- piece of cake!

Aandaar

Here is the upgraded antenna, which was mentioned on this forum by another member. The connection has worked extremely well, signal has dropped out maybe 1-2 seconds, less than 10 times over 1500 miles. Mainly during night driving. Angling the monitor antenna as shown in pic helped.

(Note this is in truck cab along with RV GPS, tire pressure monitor system, two cell phones in-dash GPS and XM radio.)

Alfa 9dBi WiFi Booster SMA OMNI-Directional High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna for D-Link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MUU6L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6MEAybKHHGVB2

So did you replace the cameras antenna with this or the monitor?

Oregon_Camper

Hello Jim,

We recently installed our Furion. Install was straight forward and very easy. We hooked ours up just under the center running light on the rear cap, tapping into the light's wiring. The gasket that came with the camera would have probably sealed just fine, but I put Dicor sealant at each screw and a bead around the supplied rubber gasket. Have not had an opportunity to tow with it yet, but will be attending a rally next week and will get to try it out. Good luck with your install- piece of cake!

Thanks Ernie!!

Where did you get yours? Amazon?

Would love to hear how well it works on your trailer as we have the same one. :)

Any install pictures?

TravelTiger

So did you replace the cameras antenna with this or the monitor?

The camera's antenna. Some slight alteration was needed to make the antenna fit the camera bracket. A metal file did the trick to make the opening a tad bigger to accommodate the girth of the bigger antenna.

Aandaar

Camera

The camera's antenna. Some slight alteration was needed to make the antenna fit the camera bracket. A metal file did the trick to make the opening a tad bigger to accommodate the girth of the bigger antenna.

Hmmmm, this might be a better solution than what I came up with.

I used an antenna cable and relocated the stock antenna to a self made bracket attached to the top of my rear A/C unit. It put the stock in LOS of the TV cab. Get 3 to 4 bars now little to no drop outs even at night on our 3970.

Az_Ernie

Thanks Ernie!!

Where did you get yours? Amazon?

Would love to hear how well it works on your trailer as we have the same one. :)

Any install pictures?
We ordered it from Amazon last October, paid $299 total with free shipping.

Had a chance to try it out on a short 4 mile trip from storage to home. It appeared to work well and we did not experience any drop outs. We'll get a chance to give it a real work out next week on our trip to the rally at Lake Havasu. I'll let you know how it goes after we return.

Unfortunately, I did not take any installation pictures. As stated earlier, it's a very easy straight forward project.

SNOKING

Those loosing signal most likely do not have a good 12V DC feed to the camera. As I stated, I can drive 800-1000 feet away before I loose signal. My camera was power from the sconce light circuit on the off door side next to the rear window. I just add another switch to the sconce light base to turn the camera off while parked. Chris

BusManRG

Are any of you removing the cameras between trips or are you concerned with theft? And I'm trying to be clear about the "always on" issue. When we park between trips we always use the battery disconnect. If you were dry camping, would this be much of a draw? I like the idea of wiring it to the running lights but, (and I might be selling hubby short here) I'm not sure if hubby would be comfortable doing this without a wiring guide.

Sandy

Oregon_Camper

We ordered it from Amazon last October, paid $299 total with free shipping.

Had a chance to try it out on a short 4 mile trip from storage to home. It appeared to work well and we did not experience any drop outs. We'll get a chance to give it a real work out next week on our trip to the rally at Lake Havasu. I'll let you know how it goes after we return.

Unfortunately, I did not take any installation pictures. As stated earlier, it's a very easy straight forward project.

Ordered from Amazon yesterday. I got the add-on/enhanced antenna (only $10) as well.

Now...bring on spring! I have a LOT of stuff sitting in the garage to be installed. :rolleyes:
* Camera
* Snapon Pad
* GoPower 2000w Inverter (this is BIG project)
* Progressive Hardwired EMS
* RVLock with keypad and remote

Az_Ernie

Ordered from Amazon yesterday. I got the add-on/enhanced antenna (only $10) as well.

Now...bring on spring! I have a LOT of stuff sitting in the garage to be installed. :rolleyes:
* Camera
* Snapon Pad
* GoPower 2000w Inverter (this is BIG project)
* Progressive Hardwired EMS
* RVLock with keypad and remote
Good deal! Looks like you have a busy spring ahead.