Bad Luck or Bad Products

jdfishing

We decided to take the 5 month old Bighorn to Quartzsite, Az. for the big RV show and camp with some friends in the desert. We just got it out of the shop, where it sat for a month while trying to diagnose and fix the Lippert Level Up System. The 3010 model is always a big hit and we gave tours to everyone there. Several went down to the dealers in town to look at the Heartland products. Then, the trouble began. The furnance quit working. Had to call a mobile repair guy because the few repair facilities in town are booked solid for weeks. The fan relay switch was bad. Two days later, the booster switch for the batwing antenna failed. And no one here ever heard of the "AntennaTec" brand. Then the basement flooded. The water pump seal failed. One day later, the carpet in the bedroom behind the shower got wet. Haven't got to that problem yet. All of this in about a week. Well, our friends interest in the Heartland product line kinda died. We still love our Bighorn, but this is embarrasing. We are supposed to make the trip from CA. to Goshen for the rally. I'm a little worried at this point. I will say my contact with Heartland durng this period has been OK. On the furnance, they said my issue was with Suburban, who wanted me to pull the trailer to a shop 20 miles away, who is booked thru the middle of February. On the "Artis" water pump, also a name no one was familiar with, Heartland put me in touch with a dealer who is having one shipped from San Diego, hopefully to arrive tomorrow. Just a streak of bad luck? I don't know, but I'm tired of spending my vacation fixing this thing.

danemayer

Hi jdfishing,

Sorry you're having these problems. Going through a bunch of failures in a couple of days has to be disconcerting and stressful. Add to that the difficulty of getting service and I can imagine you must have quite a knot in your stomach. But hang in - you'll get everything fixed and will soon get back to enjoying your Bighorn.

Hope to see you in Goshen.

sengli

Yikes! well you know these coaches are are built using the same type components no matter who makes them. talked to a guy at a campsite last spring with a new couger from forest river. so far in the their first year, the black tank ruptured floooding the lowers of the coach with ooze. their power converter went out, one of their slides stopped working. their fridge had died twice, and had to be replaced. also had several water leaks that were fixed too. and after all that they were still excited to get yet another forest river product?

mobilcastle

I think it was just bad luck-hope things improve for you soon. All brands even high end $$$$$ have things that go wrong. You just seem to be the unfortunate person who got this one. I think you will be happy once these items are fixed. Good luck. That is a very nice rig-My DW and I looked at them.

Westwind

Last year we were in a Florida campground, one of our neighbors had a new $200 - $300 motor home which was beautiful, we had a rain storm that night and in the morning they were hanging out a pile of towels that were used to mop up the tile floor, leather couches, and granite counter tops. The rain had long stopped but the ceiling in the motor home still had water dripping. Left that afternoon for the dealer. Not a pretty tail.
It's the nature of the beast, I have my list of repairs that I've made but fortunately no leaks.