bad main power connection?

herefishy

We hooked up to a 20 amp circuit and it worked fine for an hour or so, then tripped the house breaker, and continued to trip everything we plugged it into, even after turning off the main breaker in the panel. The ground in the power plug burned a little, but after taking the plug out of the trailer, all the wires were cool and apparently tight. With no draw on the power, what could be doing the power pull?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: bad main power cobnnection?

A couple of things come to mind.
What was being used in the coach? Perhaps an overloaded circuit melted the 20 amp plug and now it is shorted.
Have you tried another cord to see if it works?
And finally is you cord #12 wire?
Maybe I am not thinking right, but it sounds like you are using some sort of extension cord.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

A couple of things come to mind.
What was being used in the coach? Perhaps an overloaded circuit melted the 20 amp plug and now it is shorted.
Have you tried another cord to see if it works?
And finally is you cord #12 wire?
Maybe I am not thinking right, but it sounds like you are using some sort of extension cord.

Peace
Dave

And if an extension cord was used, how long was it and what gage wire was it? Then again, too, it could be the breaker has given up the ghost. It does happen. And is that 20A circuit dedicated to only the outlet you were plugged into?

herefishy

Good thought about the extension, but we eventually got a heavy rv extension to try and that didn't help. It's arcing when you plug it in, so must be shorted somewhere, would the next step be to take apart the rv power plug? It worked fine till we took a shower with the electric water heater.

danemayer

If I'm understanding the description, you tripped the breaker inside your house. The RV power cord shows signs of burning. Now wherever you plug the RV power cord into the house, it trips the breaker. Not just the first breaker in the house, but any breaker. The house breakers trip even with the main RV main panel breakers turned off.

With the RV panel breakers turned off, the electrical path of the RV is limited. From the panel out through the internal wiring to the plug on the side of the coach, through the RV power cord. If you have the generator prep option, there is a transfer switch in that pathway.

Sounds like the burn damage on the power cord might be more than superficial.

herefishy

That's right - each breaker we plugged it into arced and tripped. We even tried the 50 amp cord instead of the 30 amp(the burned one) and it did the same thing. Seems like the outside plug on the side of the trailer is the culprit. No generator prep.

Last edited:

herefishy

Just an update - we do have a transfer switch, so took it out of the wiring, but still haviing the same problem.

herefishy

Hopefully a false alarm. Maybe bad house power, as we fired up the generator and everything worked fine.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Hopefully a false alarm. Maybe bad house power, as we fired up the generator and everything worked fine.
Is the generator built in?
With the generator supplying power, ( I assume you reconnected the transfer switch), there would be no current running between the transfer switch and the shore power connection on the RV. I agree with Dan that the problem is at or near the plug on the side of the coach.

wdk450

I would have tried energizing the shore power hookup with the input wiring to the transfer switch disconnected and wire ends insulated. If there is still a short in the wiring from the input receptacle to the transfer switch, it should still blow the breaker - if it doesn't blow the breaker in that case, that wiring should be O.K.

herefishy

Sure enough, we had a disaster in the electrical system - main power cord fried between the plug and the transfer switch - at least that's what the repair folks say, though they haven't torn it apart yet to verify - just say since there is continuity between two of the wires that must be what it is. Cause is not wiring the 2nd power wire through the transfer switch from the inverter, then accidentally turning on the inverter while power is on. No clue why it would run off a generator.

herefishy

Bee in my bonnet. Thinking of asking the technician tomorrow to build us a new main power cord from the outside, somewhere around the docking station, to the transfer switch instead of finding the fried portion and replacing it. Anybody see a problem with having the main power outlet somewhere around the docking center?

TedS

Only if it is too close and subject to getting wet from the water supply or you are subject to water supply contact as you plug it in. If they do what you want, be sure they remove and close out the original outside connection so someone else does not use it unknowingly. Make sure the abandoned wire is safe.