Bad odor from under kitchen sink

BandK

Brand new 2013 Elkridge 34QSRL. Second trip out, getting a very foul odor from beneath the kitchen sink. Really got bad while washing dishes. No water leaks under sink, checked P-trap, everything appears ok. Odor seems to only be between first shelf and sink bottom. No odor at the vent outside the kitchen. Dealer mentioned a mechanical vent on the drain piping? I looked but do not see anything attached to drain piping. Do not get odor at the sink drain. Taking unit back to dealer on Tuesday but might be helpful to have more information.

brianharrison

Mechanical vent is a vacuum breaker at the highest point on the vertical stack under the sink. It is to prevent sucking the water out of the p trap while water is draining down to the grey tank. These are installed where the vent stack cannot be extended to roof line.

It is essentially a one way diaphragm valve to allow air in but not sewer gases out. Sometimes the diaphragm gets caught or stuck open and sewer gases can escape into the cupboard.

Often the mechanical vents are simply screwed on and you can remove them and check their condition.

Hope this helps.

Brian

hoefler

It is a "Studor Valve", you can buy a new one for about $3.00 at Lowes and Home Depot. I carry an extra one, and if they give me any sign of trouble, I replace it! Look at the plumbing under the sink, find the trap. The trap is connected to the sink and a "Tee" fitting. Follow the pipe above the "Tee", and at the top is the "Studor Valve". Simply unscrew it and you can dis-assemble it, like said above, possibly repair it if the diaphragm has flipped or caught. I simply replace it and go on.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Anyone have a picture of this? Are there others in the coach? Would be good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BandK

Hey you all are awesome. I did not see that under the sink anywhere but I will definitely look again before I haul it back to the dealer. Right now I am thinking that it was not installed???

jimtoo

HI BandK,

It's there,,, just follow the sink drain pipe. It may not be directly under the sink, but just to the side of it.

Jim M

porthole

Retired
One for every sink. I bought two new valves at Lowe's while up at Turning Stone. My bathroom sink was starting to emit odors when the fan was on.

Replaced the valve and still had the same issue. But, when I bought the valve I also bought a 1 1/2" PVC pipe plug.
Used that and the problem is solved.

Not worried about the P-trap siphoning dry, there just isn't that much water flow in the bathroom sink.

BandK

Well, after a week at the dealer.... this is what they came up with,, there was a gap between the vent pipe where it goes out the side of the trailer. Their thought was the odor was coming back into the trailer via this gap, so they sealed it. No studor valve is installed in the coach!! We also had issue with the water heater thermostat on 12v and gas and not shutting off, there by opening the hi pressure valve on the tank so they had to replace the thermostat and correct a wiring error. Last but not least, had a bit of a hydraulic leak from a hose crimp going to one of the slide cylinders and the oil running down the belly pan and down the fresh water tank drain hose. So now we can get out of this heat this weekend and head to the Mogollon rim and Woods Canyon lake for some nice relaxation and libations and fishing and biking. (not necessarily in that order)