Basement access panels

4ever

I wanted to have some access panels in the dividing walls of the basement storage area. Access panels would provide any easy way to look in at all the water and electric in the basemnet and also provide good access if ever needed to get in that area for repairs. Wanted to make some access so that would not have to remove all the screws just to take a look. Decided wanted to not only have a small access door but wanted to be able to remove the panels easily if need to get in and do some work. I have a 2014 Grand Canyon and there are 3 panels that seperate the storage from the basement area. The panel closest to the slam door on the door side of the rig is long and has electric plug, 12 volt plug and tv cable outlet. Decided to cut that panel in half so that I could remove part of the panel without disturbing all the coonectios. I now have four panels. I decided to hinge three of the panels together using a door latch (see pics). This was actually DW idea. These are similar door latches as is used on the closet doors in the bedroom of the rig. These latches provide two functons. They can either act as a hinge if I want to just swing the panel out to take a look or I can slide the pin up and easily remove the entire panel. On the last panel near the docking station I used a hasp. The door latches would not work connecting the two panels because of the angle of the two panels. However it also provides the same benfits as the door latch. This modification now makes it extremly easy to take a look into the basement or remove all the panels if I need to do work.

004.jpg011.jpg016.jpg017.jpg002.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Prettier than the access panels I did a couple of years ago, but I can inspect behind the walls without pulling anything out of the basement. If I had to get to the rear of the space, then I'd have to clear the basement and remove the main panels. I modified them afterwards to use the barrel bolt latches, rather than the wood retaining strips. Might paint them black if I get bored.

View attachment 25330View attachment 25331

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Nice job. Several years ago I did about the samething but used piano hinges at the bottom and barrel bolt latches at the top.

4ever

I like the panels you made John. I am sure the barrel bolts are better then what you originally had.

Ted

sjs731

John, I stained mine black. I used your idea for the panels though. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373816034.234473.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373816045.489927.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373816058.526691.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK