Bathroom sink drain

The drain in our bathroom sink only opens about 1/8 of an inch making draining very slow. Does anyone know of a fix? The movement of the lever under the sink seems to be going at full range. Two service departments have looked at it with no success.:mad::mad:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ours moves about 3/8" and drains quickly. Although two service departments may have looked at it, they may not have tried adjusting the position of the mechanism or the stopper. If you try playing around with it, you may get it to move a bit more so that it drains faster.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gary, I haven't looked at ours in the rig but the one in my house is adjustable. There is a rod coming down from the top attached to the "lever rod" in the drain tube. Move the down rod away from the drain tube and that should increase the travel of the stopper.

danemayer

Gary, I checked ours and found that when closed, there appears to be about 1/8" between the flange on the stopper and the drain. There must be a rubber washer that seals the drain but compresses to allow a little downward travel to unlatch the mechanism. When the flange pops up, there's at least 3/8", and maybe 1/2" between flange and drain.

The flange unscrews pretty easily by turning it counter-clockwise. That'll let you see the latching mechanism and top of drain. Maybe you'll find something interfering with the up and down motion.

Thanks to suggestions I went in and pushed down hard on the lever under the sink.....success....it grudgingly moved a bit more. I got it to go up another 1/8 in or more. Now it drains satisfactorily. Thanks!