Battery disconnect "Dummy"

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I know it must be simple, but... I recently replaced the 50 amp breaker for the level up hydraulics and in the process of doing so, I thought the easy way was to turn the battery disconnect to the off position but the breaker bar was still hot. Also, all the 12 volt systems (lights / fridge etc) were still hot when the disconnect was turned to the off position. I flipped off the converter breaker, disconnected the cable from the batteries and all was dead. So what does the battery disconnect switch actually disconnect? Thanks!

danemayer

Hi Bret,

If you were plugged into shore power, the Power Converter would have been sending power through the buss bar to attempt to charge the battery. So turning the cutoff switch would take the battery out of the circuit, but you'd still have power on the buss bar.

When not plugged into shore power, using the battery cutoff would cut power to the buss bar and internal devices. The emergency breakaway circuit would still have a direct connection to the battery terminals, and if you have a generator, it may also.