Battery Post Maintenance - What to use

Lynn1130

My trailer sits for several months at a time, and I keep a Battery Tender on it during those times. I have found that the posts develop some corrosion during these times. I have heard of several methods for preventing this from happening as much and wonder what system most here use to keep the terminals in good shape. I have heard of using dielectric grease and have also heard that Vaseline works also. So, what do the experts here suggest?

The other thing that I wonder about is the gases inside the battery compartment. While there are vents with little or no air movement it would seem that the hydrogen gas in the compartment could cause damage to other items there.

Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't use anything on the posts and have no corrosion problems but our battery in in a vented battery box in the front storage area. There are many products available at ptetty much any auto parts store or walmart. I don't know of one that works any better than the others. I have heard DiElectric grease will work just fine. Key thing is to have clean posts and terminals to start with.

whp4262

Auto parts stores sell a spray that can be applied to the posts to prevent corrosion. I've seen it at Walmart packaged with the fiber washers. On the farm we used to put a layer of grease on the terminal after the cable was hooked up and that worked pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

pegmikef

I don't have a problem with the RV batteries, but I use baking soda and water to remove any corrosion on my boat and golf cart batteries and I try to keep them protected with the red spray stuff for batteries. I used to use vasoline and it worked well also.