Bearing Maintenance Urgency?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow not good Bob. Hope you and Connie and the pups are ok. Sounds like you have had some bad luck last couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Well, I had been keeping up on this thread. Sided with those who thought they shouldn't be messed with.

I was a boater and always saw trailer problems with bearings on somebody else. But those bearings were dunked, dried, rode hard, dunked again, etc. I understood that water would get in, rust, create friction that would cause heat, boil the grease and boom -- problems.

I also had a different rig for 6 years (31' Keystone Sprinter pull type). Rode it pretty hard through the summers, probably 1.5k to 2k a summer, then a run to Florida each Christmas. Never repacked the bearings, thought they were tight enough to hold the grease.

Had our 2013 BH 3670 since Labor Day of 2012. Had our first bearing failure today. Going to be a *****. Spindle/axle is OK, but everything else is going to have to be replaced.

Guy said it was a lack of grease, but the seals were fine. I guess I don't get that. If there's enough grease in them, the grease shouldn't go anywhere. Right?

When I packed my bearings the first time I was surprised at how little grease was actually there.

Bones

Here is another jack type suggestion for the rigs. It is called The Rapid Jack by Anderson Hitches.

rapid-jack-with-rubber-pad-medjpg20140617113550.jpg

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Andy,

We're fine. I'm just stupid and non mechanical. I'm going to be paying for that stupidity.

Sitting in a farmer's lot here in Illinois waiting on the guy to call back this morning that he found the parts, etc.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Andy,

We're fine. I'm just stupid and non mechanical. I'm going to be paying for that stupidity.

Sitting in a farmer's lot here in Illinois waiting on the guy to call back this morning that he found the parts, etc.

I understand. I am learning as I go as I was not very handy prior to getting into this full timing thing either. I heard and witnessed too many horror stories about the bearings so I had mine done after two years. Guy who helped me said they looked great but since they were opened up the seals were replaced and bearings re packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are picking up our new trailer a week from this Friday . . .

I wonder if I should ask the dealership to repack the bearings before pickup, or if I should take it to our regular repair guy for this job?

Just had all of this done to our soon-to-be old trailer a week and a half ago.