Bearing Maintenance

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I know there are different ways to pack bearings. Looking to see if anyone has a video of the correct way to hand pack. Had RV service do it before. I just like to do things myself if I can. I'm not sure what system the new Elkridge has on it but I heard doing it by hand is the best. I also heard they might not be done correctly from the factory.

Suggestions? Comments?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
! Yep. That's how my dad taught me to pack wheel bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marvmarcy

I've hand packed many bearing over the years, but the hardest part of the job for me was getting the hub nut to just the right tightness to assure longest bearing life. Even the "pros" can get it wrong, that's why I replaced all fiver axle bearings in Sep 2014 when finding two were noisy after being repacked a year previous.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've hand packed many bearing over the years, but the hardest part of the job for me was getting the hub nut to just the right tightness to assure longest bearing life. Even the "pros" can get it wrong, that's why I replaced all fiver axle bearings in Sep 2014 when finding two were noisy after being repacked a year previous.

Yup!

Can't even trust that when you pay for something to be done by the 'pros' . . . was it done right?

porthole

Retired

I would have to think if your bearings were bad after 1 year that - a) they were of poor quality to begin (likely) and b) they were not done correctly (likely).

If we as owners are willing to take on this task ourselves, my suggestion would be to just replace the suppled bearings with a known quality bearing, eliminate the cheap import from the get go. And learn how to pack or repack correctly. Quality grease is big plus as well.

It is OK to use a wheel bearing packer like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34550-H...24361631&sr=8-1&keywords=wheel+bearing+packer

or

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-27...24361631&sr=8-5&keywords=wheel+bearing+packer

As for bearings, buying American is getting difficult, but made in the US, Japan or Germany are good choices.

Done correctly I see no reason to do this on annual basis. Boat trailers yes, campers, not so much.
When most cars were rear wheel drive it was not uncommon to see front wheel bearings with well over 100k on the original installation.

Setting the bearing retaining nut torque is relatively simple and takes simple tools - and is different between cleaned / repacked bearings or new bearings installed.

After 4 years of use I was "thinking" about doing my bearings. Our trailer had MOR/ryde IS installed when new. MOR/ryde doesn't excellent work and I had confidence in the bearing installations.
When I had the "opportunity" to have MOR/ryde disassemble my IS after the last Goshen rally I had a chance to inspect the bearings.

All I could think was I was happy I had not bothered to do the bearings yet. They looked as good as they day they were first installed.

travelin2

Duane, how many miles a year did you average over that 4 year period?

porthole

Retired
On average according to my log, about 5,000 a year. But, that inspection was done at a bit over 19,000 miles.

travelin2

Good to know. I'll be repacking mine this spring before we head west. Have probably 12K+ on mine to date.

JohnD

On average according to my log, about 5,000 a year. But, that inspection was done at a bit over 19,000 miles.

OK . . .

That is the big question!

How many miles should we get on a wheel bearing grease job?

500 . . . 1000 . . . 5000 . . . 1,000,000 miles?

Or one month . . . six months . . . one year . . . 10 years?

The manufacturer of the axles give us a one year warranty, because they know it will last at least one year and one day before it fails . . .

Cheap Chinese junk . . .

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a boat load of miles over about four years on my BH using the "Cheap Chinese junk" bearings and seals.
I believe it's all in the proper grease and proper packing.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

I have a boat load of miles over about four years on my BH using the "Cheap Chinese junk" bearings and seals.
I believe it's all in the proper grease and proper packing.

Peace
Dave

Which means that mine came from the Heartland factory with "improper grease and packing'!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe, but remember that the pre-assembled component comes from a supplier such as Lippert or Dexter.
All Heartland does is bolt it on.
One other thing worth noting is there is no evidence that's what caused your failure, it's simply conjecture.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Maybe, but remember that the pre-assembled component comes from a supplier such as Lippert or Dexter.
All Heartland does is bolt it on.
One other thing worth noting is there is no evidence that's what caused your failure, it's simply conjecture.

Peace
Dave

Doesn't matter . . . they (Lippert or Dextor) hide behind the one year protection as well!

Believe me . . . I know . . . already been on the phone with them!

Don't you think that you should get at least 5000 miles out of their axles and bearings after the initial purchase of your trailer???

I didn't . . . which is why I am upset!

I would think that Heartland would back me up since they are the ones that chose the axles that were put on my trailer from the Heartland factory!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Ok, a real "green horn" question. What is the best way to tell if a bearing is still in good condition. Completely disassembling the system or is there a simpler way? Never really worried about it before. Until about 5 years ago, we probably only put 1000 miles or so on a year. Now the trailer is just a weeee(haha) bit longer and heavier. And we put on 4 times the miles. Just want to do the maintenance now to avoid problems later. Thanks for all the help.

travelin2

After you clean the old grease from the bearings look for evidence of nicks, scratches, pitting, corrosion, etc. Also examine the raceways. If you see anything suspect replace it. Replace the seal anytime you remove the hub.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
If you put more than 10 miles per year on your trailer . . . Heartland won't back you up!

At least that is my experience with them . . .

Our trailer has had so many issues under 5000 miles, but over the one year warranty . . . but that one year date is so important!

Heartland . . . are you reading and listening?

When you were shopping did someone suggest that your trailer came with a 1 year plus miles warranty?

JohnD

OK . . .

I tried to edit my above post, but apparently Heartland doesn't want me to edit the post as they won't let me do it!

I'll leave that up to you as to why they won't let me post this . . .

(took me 10 minutes to type this) . . .