Bed Removal, 2019 Bighorn

Wanderers

We have a 2019 Bighorn 3760 EL. We need to remove the bed platform and mattress in order to be able to access a broken slide cable. Has anyone had experience removing the bed and If so can you provide any tips? The RV repair shop is estimating a 4 hour repair to remove the bed, fix the cable and replace the bed. That estimate seems very high. We know we can do the cable repair. How hard is it to remove the bed? Thank you in advance for any tips.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have a 2019 Bighorn 3760 EL. We need to remove the bed platform and mattress in order to be able to access a broken slide cable. Has anyone had experience removing the bed and If so can you provide any tips? The RV repair shop is estimating a 4 hour repair to remove the bed, fix the cable and replace the bed. That estimate seems very high. We know we can do the cable repair. How hard is it to remove the bed? Thank you in advance for any tips.
I’ve not completed that repair but I’m pretty sure you need not remove the bed frame and platform. Mattress, Yes, and likely the floor of the frame. Attached is a photo I took of an access panel to the electric motor for the BR slide. I would think the new cable (s) can be fished to under the bed and adjusted accordingly

This is under the head of the bed. Totally removing the OSB platform would obviously provide a more open work area

1682897208563.jpeg

Last edited:

centerline

if you have the ability to know how to replace the cables, then it should be a simple task for you to get access into the area....
replacing and tensioning the cables can be a PITA, and if you dont get it right the first time, its likely that after just a few cycles, you will be replacing them again... or other ones..

4 hours is a reasonable time to replace an UNBROKEN cable when there is no ready access to the motor.... if the cable has broken, a chase wire will have to be threaded, which could take some time..

if a cable has jumped a sheave and caused damage, it could turn out to be a 10hr job...

Wanderers

I’ve not completed that repair but I’m pretty sure you need not remove the bed frame and platform. Mattress, Yes, and likely the floor of the frame. Attached is a photo I took of an access panel to the electric motor for the BR slide. I would think the new cable (s) can be fished to under the bed and adjusted accordingly

This is under the head of the bed. Totally removing the OSB platform would obviously provide a more open work area

View attachment 68249
Thank you! The picture is helpful.

Wanderers

if you have the ability to know how to replace the cables, then it should be a simple task for you to get access into the area....
replacing and tensioning the cables can be a PITA, and if you dont get it right the first time, its likely that after just a few cycles, you will be replacing them again... or other ones..

4 hours is a reasonable time to replace an UNBROKEN cable when there is no ready access to the motor.... if the cable has broken, a chase wire will have to be threaded, which could take some time..

if a cable has jumped a sheave and caused damage, it could turn out to be a 10hr job...
Thank you for the information regarding the time for the repair. I'll let you know how it turns out.

sengli

I have had mine apart in a couple of the fivers we have owned from heartland. I did it to adjust the cable tension, not replace the cable. Its a job all unto itself getting the mattress, and plywood platform out the way. Big heavy parts, in a small area. Taking the bed frame apart isnt a big job though. If they can do it in 4 hours, thats reasonable.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Found this other picture from when I replaced the BR carpet last summer. A few more screws and that OSB wouldn’t have been there opening up that whole area containing the cables and motor

1683133896079.jpeg

Wanderers

Thanks everyone. The repair, including the removal and reinstall of the bed and the replacement of the cable, took 4 hours. The cable itself was only a $20 part. The repairman said removing the bed is a struggle. I think we wisely had the shop do it for us.