Bedroom slide / slack cables

Mykiwi64

Today I had trouble with getting the bedroom slide to go out. It was sticking on the right side and required me to push it on that side while my wife operated the switch. We stopped it about half way and I got down on the floor and looked underneath and saw that there is slack in the cables that operate the slide. It looks as if one can make an adjustment to the tension but what is the secret to making sure the adjustments are equal so that the slide goes in and out evenly? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is on a 2012 Bighorn 3455RL 5th wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your slide has been operating normally but now has some issues, I suggest that you check the rollers under the slide.
My cables have some slack in them and work fine. If you want to check the adjustment there is a manual in the 'Tools' section. The tools button is located at the top of each forum page.
Here is a link to the manuals. [LINK]
Pick your slide type there.

Peace
Dave

wrgrs50s

It may be that the cable has jumped off of one of it's pulley's. I don't think slack alone would cause it to stick. The cables are not that difficult to adjust according to the manual. It's the Bal Accuslide that uses the cable system.

rjr6150

Another HL member posted this some time ago. Did mine this spring easy.

1. Tools required 2 - 7/16" wrenches. Phillips screw driver (powered preferred) but not necessary.
2. Run the slide out
3. Remove mattress
4. Remove one end of each of the hydraulic supports from the bottom the bed (storage access). (you'll wish you had later if you don't)
5. Remove the 4 screws attaching the front half of the bed support.
6. Fold the front back over on the rear.
7. You should now be able to see the gear drive.
8. On each side of the bed frame is a short carpeted access board (vertical) that covers the mechanism outside the bed frame. There are two screws one about a couple inches in, and one next to the outside trim board. They are silver and hard to find. If you can find them great. If not pry them off and use new screws when you put them back.
9. On each side of the bed is you'll see a bracket where (2) cables attach to the chain. In the center of this will be a bolt with an adjustment nut on the outside and a lock nut on the inside. Mine had come loose allowing a lot of slack in the chain. Once I tightened the nut to take up the slack I tightened the lock nut.
10. Where the cables attach, behind the foam blocks is an adjustment nut. The top cableis the adjustment for the bottom cable when the slide is out. Screw the nut in until you have about a 1/2" of sag on the cable.
11. Replace the foam blocks.
12. Replace the carpeted access boards
13. Replace the bed shelf
14. Re-install the hydraulic supports.
15. Re-install mattress
16. Test
17. Drink beverage of your choice

avvidclif

My kitchen slide (same system) had a "hitch in it's git-a-long", it would hesitate like an overload clutch was kicking in. Finally it got to the point it would stop every so often and need a nudge to get going again. I thought it was because of the cables or rollers binding and spent a lot of time trying to find what was binding. Finally found out it was the gearbox on the motor. It had stripped a couple of teeth, at first. Then a few more, a few more, and finally to the point it would stop and need a shove to find some more teeth to pull on. I contacted BAL and they replaced the gearbox. It was in warranty but even out of warranty it wouldn't have been bad, abt $200 IIRC. Simple install.

MikeNHeidi

Just noticed my brand new 2019 4005 bedroom slide has loose cables on one side and tight cables on the other side along with a bent cable plate. Ugggg. It seemed to operate just fine but as I spend more time with it you always find something you missed...

Oh well it can be fixed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Just noticed my brand new 2019 4005 bedroom slide has loose cables on one side and tight cables on the other side along with a bent cable plate. Ugggg. It seemed to operate just fine but as I spend more time with it you always find something you missed...

Oh well it can be fixed...

Get it fixed ASAP. The loose cables can rub against the metal openings in the slide and snap. Been there, done that.

MikeNHeidi

Get it fixed ASAP. The loose cables can rub against the metal openings in the slide and snap. Been there, done that.

Thanks! Will do. Luckily we don’t need to close it for sometime.