Best Hitch on Market for Heavy Rig

dpetri

Hello All,

I am hoping to draw from the infinite wisdom of this forum's members, and get more information on which hitch I should install on my truck.

I just bought a Ford F-350 crew cab with the shorter bed (6'9")

I will be towing a Bighorn 3875 FB which has a dry weight of 13,400 lbs, and a hitch weight of 3010 lbs.

If cost were not a concern, which would be the best hitch to purchase? I'm looking at the Trailer Saver TS3 - is this a good option? Any and all advice is much appreciated!!

Thank you!

porthole

Retired
Try a search under my name for the TS.

Although it does work, I would say their customer service is less then ideal for an expensive hitch.
And there are some real concerns with wear, lot of steel on steel with no lube.

Unless there were design changes I would not buy it again.

pegmikef

If you have the factory fifth wheel prep for your F350, then only certain types of hitches will fit without a kit to modify them. The Reese Elite is one that fits.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We use a 20.5 Pullrite...it is in our opinion one of the best made hitches on the market and their customer service is second to none...

dave10a

I don't know which best, but I use the 20k Reese slider with a TrailAir pin box. I have not high hitched or felt uncomfortable with its ability to hitch and unhitch. However, if there is any strain on it, it will not unhitch easily and requires two wolf men and a gorilla to pull the lever to unlock. I have learned how to relieve the tension enough to unlock without effort though. The same goes for the slider. When one claims which is the better hitch, I wished they would offer reasons why they like it-- that would be most helpful :) Reese design is simple and straight forward and grabs the pin very securely without any noticeable wear.

Westwind

I have a Trailer Saver BD3 and pull a BH 3070RL with it, it's the second product that I have purchased from Hensley and have no complaints about their customer service, I always had my calls returned and answers to my questions. I never had any warranty problems, as a matter of fact with the Hensley Arrow for my TT never had any problems and so far with the BD3 no problems.
I'm very satisfied with the hitch's performance and like the idea of the pin to the trailer being cushioned by the air bags, I can see it working in the rear view mirror as we go down the road and we have minimal if no pounding or chucking and that's what I was really worried about when I moved from a TT to a FW. I would check on some other forums such as Irv2.com or the Trailer Life forum and see what surfaces there and they weigh everything before making your decision. I do know of others who have the TS3 and I hear no complaints.

scottyb

I have been very happy with both my B&W Companions. The latest matches up with the Ford OEM factory prep. When I unhitch my rig at home, 2 minutes to remove or replace and I have a clean bed, no rails or any obstructions. This is important for me because I use my truck daily for work. It also hitches or unhitches well on uneven ground and the locking jaws are very positive and reassuring.

marvmarcy

The best hitches on the market for a very heavy rig are ET and ET Jr, but both are overkill for any Heartland product. They handle up to 32,000# trailer with up to 7,000# pin weight. The ET is made for hdts and Jr for mdts, and they cost at least $5,000 installed. For ldts with less than 18,000# trailer, I'd consider a Trailer Saver air hitch.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I second the B&W. First fifth wheel and it has been very easy to use and can tell visually that the jaws are locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1231ChaseB

I have told this story before but here it is again ! I have a Hensley trailer saver TS3 ! I pulled my Cyclone to Florida and when i got there and got into one of the compartment's there was a mouse trap that had made the trip and had NOT gone off ! Your not gonna get a much smoother ride than that !
chaseb

conradsteph

Certainly not infinite wisdom but I use a Mountain Master hitch. It's a 22K rated air hitch with a 5K kingpin rating. It also has a "pin catcher" to save you from a tailgate mishap or hitching/unhitching on a slope. Very smooth. I pull a Cyclone 3800 with a F350 longbed so its a bit heavier trailer and a different size bed - but it fits in with a Reese adaptor. Just under 3K total investment. Talk to Gerry at Mountain Master. Good luck.