BEST ROUTE- ST.LOUIS,MO to MISSION,TX

happykraut

I've received a couple suggestions on what route to take, but I'm looking for a few more suggestions. Thanks in advance.

jimtoo

Hi Bernie,

I will suggest a route to avoid,,, IH 35 from Dallas to San Antonio. To much traffic and construction.

Jim M

dlw930

I not only have an aversion to The route Jim mentioned, but also US 69 in OK. I would try I44 to OKC, I35 to Denton, U.S. 380 west to Jacksboro and U.S. 281 to San Antonio. 281 is a decent road that we take when we go south from Fort Worth to the Hill Country. I've not been on the stretch from San Antonio on south, but it looks like it will take you directly into the McAllen/Mission area.

Safe travels to you and Judi.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I not only have an aversion to The route Jim mentioned, but also US 69 in OK. I would try I44 to OKC, I35 to Denton, U.S. 380 west to Jacksboro and U.S. 281 to San Antonio. 281 is a decent road that we take when we go south from Fort Worth to the Hill Country. I've not been on the stretch from San Antonio on south, but it looks like it will take you directly into the McAllen/Mission area.

Dave

I agree with this.

rxbristol

i not only have an aversion to the route jim mentioned, but also us 69 in ok. I would try i44 to okc, i35 to denton, u.s. 380 west to jacksboro and u.s. 281 to san antonio. 281 is a decent road that we take when we go south from fort worth to the hill country. I've not been on the stretch from san antonio on south, but it looks like it will take you directly into the mcallen/mission area.

Safe travels to you and judi.

Dave

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

x2..

lynndiwagoner

I-35 through Oklahoma is not bad. I would take I44 all the way to OKC then stay on it through Lawton, BurkBurnett, and Wichita Falls. You can pick up US281 just south of Wichita Falls. This is the way I go to San Antonio to visit the son. Laid back on 281 and several RV Parks along the way. Pretty cut and dried from San Antonio to Mission.

TxCowboy

Dave

Let me expound on the trip south through San Antonio.

US 281 becomes IH-37 (281 continues on IH-37). Timing through SA is going to be critical. Try to arrive into north SA (US 281 and Loop 1604) at about 9:30 AM. That will get you through the heart of SA by no later than about 10:15 or so.

EDIT: There is a small portion of US281/IH-37 between the airport and downtown SA that has a couple of close curves (S-turn). The posted speed limit on this section of road is 65 mph with a recommended speed of 50 mph. My suggestion is to do LESS than 50 mph through these turns and stay in the right hand lane, if possible. The lanes are tight, there is almost no right lane shoulder, and the curves are blind curves. It's probably less than one mile long before the road straightens out and takes you through the downtown area but this one mile stretch can be a "white knuckler".

As stated above, US 281 becomes IH-37. Stay on IH-37 south about 60 miles south of SA and you'll see an exit for US 281 "Rio Grande Valley". Taking the US 281 south will dead end in McAllen.

Mission is just a wee bit WEST (edited) of McAllen.

Note that, goodness knows, nothing is CLOSE in Texas. San Antonio to Mission traveling the route I outlined above is 250 miles or so.

Plan accordingly. :)

Last edited:

dlw930

By the way Bernie, if you take I37/US 281 south from San Antonio, about 150 miles south of SA you will pass through part of the famous King Ranch. It is well worth the trip to Kingsville to tour the ranch and museum. Donna and I did last Dec.

happykraut

you will pass through part of the famous King Ranch. It is well worth the trip to Kingsville to tour the ranch and museum. Donna and I did last Dec.

We did the Kings Ranch 2 years ago and did the ranch tour and then in the afternoon we did the wildlife tour. Worth every penny. Seen tons of wildlife.

happykraut

Thanks to all that gave info for this route. It is still not 100% clear to me how to get from 281 from the north side to 181 on the south side of SA.

'Lil Guy'

If I'm not mistaken and I'd like you to double check this. 281 will run with 37 as you go thru town. I would stay on 37 out of SA and I think 281 is an alternate on 37. Near Three Rivers, you drop down on 281 from 37. I think you're better off following 37 a ways out just to get clear of SA all together. Good luck on your endeavor.

jimtoo

Hi Bernie,

Like Frank said... stay on Hwy 281,, it turns into IH 37 in San Antonio. Up on the North side you will have a little construction, but not bad, just watch the signs as you get near downtown it will have IH 37 & Corpus Christi. Follow IH 37 South to exit 72, about 55 miles and Hwy 281 will exit. Sign has Three Rivers and Alice on it. This will lead you to the valley... and when you come through George West, 14 miles from the exit... honk,,,I will wave at you or we will meet you for coffee or something.. if you have time.

Jim M

TxCowboy

Thanks to all that gave info for this route. It is still not 100% clear to me how to get from 281 from the north side to 181 on the south side of SA.

You can take the Loop 1604 (Anderson Loop) to the east and south to where it intersects into US 181. We take US 181 to Sinton then Hwy 188 to the Rockport area where our RV site is located.

Take the Hwy 89 (Sinton bypass) between US 181 and Hwy 188 so that you can avoid all of Sinton's traffic lights. :)

happykraut

Thanks to all. I got it all figured out. Have no idea when I get to your neck of the woods, Jim, but if the timing is right I'll give you a holler.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You can take the Loop 1604 (Anderson Loop) to the east and south to where it intersects into US 181. We take US 181 to Sinton then Hwy 188 to the Rockport area where our RV site is located.

Take the Hwy 89 (Sinton bypass) between US 181 and Hwy 188 so that you can avoid all of Sinton's traffic lights. :)

Loop 1604 has some serious delays due to construction near Hwy16. Depending on the time of day the delay could be 45 minutes or more.

TxCowboy

Loop 1604 has some serious delays due to construction near Hwy16. Depending on the time of day the delay could be 45 minutes or more.

Hwy 16 doesn't intersect with Hwy 181. Hwy 16 is off the south side of SA; Hwy 181 is on the south east side. Hwy 16 and 181 are miles apart from each other.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hwy 16 doesn't intersect with Hwy 181. Hwy 16 is off the south side of SA; Hwy 181 is on the south east side. Hwy 16 and 181 are miles apart from each other.

I was referring to the suggestion that was made about taking Loop 1604.