Best RVs for full timing families?

ketah777

Hello, we are planning to sell our house and travel in an RV for a couple of years or longer possibly. We have 2 kids and we homeschool. My husband and I both work remotely so we'll be taking our jobs on the road as well. My question is, what are the best 5th wheels for full time use? We really like the Cyclone, especially the 4100 and 4200. Are they good models for full timing or would something else be better? We particularly like the toy hauler so we can get a golf cart but have also considered bunk house models. Thanks for any advice!

Mizmary

We full-time with two kids and homeschool out of a 4100. The only big things on my list that were not met were separate eating/dining area and kitchen on the off door side. We bought the 4100 because it was the only model to have the big bathtub when we purchased.

I LOVE having a washer dryer, a full tub, separate washroom for the kids, and using the sliding glass door as a marker board for school work. I purchased some white cling plastic and taped it to the bedroom side of the slider door for a better view of the work, as well as additional privacy between the kids room and the living room. The kids eat at the counter and Dad and I eat on TV trays stored behind the couch unless we eat outside. I use the loft area for extra storage. Eventually the loft area will lose its railing and those will be replaced with cabinet doors to ease accessing storage. We did add an a/c vent fan to the rear 1/2 bath because that began to smell pretty bad after a while without any kind of ventiation.

I like the Cyclone a lot. We use regular twin bunk beds in place of the drop down queen beds, but if you want to have a golf cart that will not work for you. We did also place some plywood on angled 2x4's to level out the back end of the bedroom and placed a carpet over the top. This allows floor space for playing and room for moving around in there. If the kids were older (ours are five and seven) I might have a different opinion.

The only thing that is a real bummer is that we don't have a central kitchen table for playing games, etc. We have considered removing the furniture and putting a small dinette set and love seat in instead. The TV viewing angle isn't the best but I am used to it. I replaced the uncomfortable stools with some more "bum-friendly" ones. We still have the others and use them for additional seating.

We have been living in our 4100 for almost a full year and I have NO regrets. The few things that I don't have, I don't miss often. It works well if you are willing to work with what you have. We have added some furniture - I use a closet organizer with fabric drawers for an entertainment shelf and school stuff.

Feel free to PM me is you have any other questions. :)

I do recommend also getting the JT Strongarms installed -it makes the whole place seem more stable and less bouncy when the kids get a crazy hair. Good luck and enjoy!!

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Gateway has a 5slide with a bunk house bed room fir the kids. Along with a 1/2 bath in there as well. This is a large and roomy 5th wheel. But that is my suggestion for a family to full time in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ketah777

Thanks for the replies! If we decide to go with a bunk house, that Gateway looks very nice. At this point I think we're leaning towards a toy hauler. I see what you mean about not having a table to all eat dinner at or play games, but I think we would just use the table in the garage for that and for a school table also. I imagined the kids (ages 9 and 7) would sleep in the loft. Is it too small for two kids? Btw, what are JT Strongarms? Thanks for the helpful advice! Are you a member of full time families? I have found a lot of helpful info from there too.

Mizmary

I found the loft to be very cramped. But I'm not 7 or 9. 😁 they may love it- they may not. I don't know about having both kids up there simply because one would have to climb over the other to get out and use any facilities. But- you have a bed above the table. And we lost some loft space by adding the vent fan for the rear 1/2 bath. I could see putting our oldest up there if he feels he needs more space. You may have to do some ladder modifications. We call it the torture device because the round rungs are not feet friendly. But then, maybe if you're a kid it isn't as big of a deal - they weigh less. Ha.

JT strongarms are a stabilizing system that attaches to the front and rear legs/stabilizers. It made a HUGE difference when we put them on. The camper doesn't bounce nearly as much when the kids get a little wired.

I haven't looked over there yet. I probably should! So far we have it pretty figured out. 😜 for now.

To be fair, we looked at a TON of bunkhouse models and since our kids are littler the floor space and larger room were pretty necessary. I haven't looked at the one Matt recommended. I'm a little afraid I'll have buyers remorse.

The challenges of the toy hauler are heating and cooling the garage. If you know that going in and can plan and prepare you are ahead of the game.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide. 😄

GWRam

We have a Gateway 3650BH. We use all 3 bunks. With only 2 kids you could replace the lower bunk with a Sofa/lounger from the factory or convert on you own to a study center. A few things our kids like is having their own personal space to go to when they want to get away. Each has a twin mattress sized bunk that they can sit up in. They can work on their assignments in their own bunk or at the dinette. They also like having their own bathroom.
Good luck with your search.

ketah777

Thanks again everyone! This is a really hard choice! I'm so torn between a bunk house or toy hauler. We really love the Cyclone! At least we have some time to decide. We're not hitting the road full time until January.

jimtoo

Just don't wait until the last week before you take off. Get what you want and use it often,,, even just in the driveway... you will want to make some changes to make it fit your life and desires.