Best Tire Compressor for Trailer Tires

wdk450

Gang:
After doing a HOG website search, I could not find an old thread on this subject, and it might be of use to some of the new owners.

I am in the market for an air compressor for my rig after trying to air up at a gas station and finding the pressure going DOWN each time I applied the pay-for-use air hose. I then moved on and found a minimart that looked like a former truckstop (very high island covers, low diesel prices, 1 semi filling up). They also had a pay-per-use air system, and I could see the big upright compressor. This one took 3 tries to get my tire from 100 psi to 105 psi in the 3 minutes I got for my 75 cents. At that point, I gave up and drove on home for 4 hours.
I now have a 3000 Watt inverter system and a generator, so I am not limited to the 12 volt inflators, although I like their small size and portability. It has been my experience that when you get one that REALLY inflates to 110 PSI, that it will take 20-30 minutes to get the tire from 100 PSI to 110 PSI - REALLY!!
So what is your recommendation for something that WORKS in a satisfying manner???

Thanks in advance!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Funny you should bring this up. I was just in Tulsa yesterday at Sams and Harbor freight "looking at portable compressors. I found nothing in the 12v style that seemed to have the output range like we would need. Was looking at some small 110v compressors that have a small holding tank that we could use as well. I don't know how many amps that the compressor would pull but 3000 watts should handle it. (around 15amps). Let us know what you find.

BTW, Air used to be a courtesy and .75 is a disgrace for some air.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Do a search for the Viair 12V compressors. I have a Viair 400C that is capable of 150 psi. They're not cheap, but they work. I did replace the 25ft plastic air hose with 50ft of 3/8" rubber hose, though, so I could reach the tires without pulling the truck next to them.

Manzan

I have a 12v pump that looks like the one from Amazon. Bought mine at Costco several years ago and it works great. Paid a little less but willing to pay more since it does such a good job. It is a piston pump, not vibrator. I don't have to pump over 80# and it is quick.

DougS

Doug S
WDK450,
I carry a 110 volt 6 gallon pancake compressor that I bought from Harbor Frieght for under $100 on sale, and I believe it is on sale again. This compressor goes to 150 lbs. so it works great on my tires bringing them to 110 lbs. in minutes. I can also run this compressor off of my 2,000 watt inverter with no problem. This compressor does not come with a hose, so I connected a coiled yellow plastic hose. From where it is mounted, I can reach all tires except the front right tire on truck.

Delaine and Lindy

I have a Sears Compressor that I bought in 2005, same as above poster posted, I paid $99.00. The tires on my 5th wheel are Goodyear G114's and require 125 lbs of air. And the Sears Compressor works great. I highly recommend the Sears compressor. I have mine on the large sliding tray and a 25' hose and plug it in the basement plug and don't have to remove it from the 5th wheel to air of the tires.. Good Luck with your choice.... Happy Trails....

Speedy

Bill,

I'm in the process of putting together one of these systems http://powertank.com/products/sfID1/11/productID/11 for my truck and BC. The reason I am choosing an CO2 tank versus a compressor is pressure the tank is capable of and it can run air tools. Most of the small air compressors are really just tire inflaters based on their CFM ratings.

Cost is way up their compared to a Harbor Freight or Sears unit but it is comparable to the Viair units John mentioned so I though I would chime in. Besides a CO2 tank makes no noise filling up tires.

JohnDar

Just to add, one consideration is where you expect to use whatever pump you buy. Out on the road or at the storage yard, a 120V compressor is useless unless you have a generator. So, that's why I went with a Viair 12V compressor to keep in the truck. When I'm at the storage yard winterizing/de-winterizing, I borrow a generator from the FD and use my small 120V compressor for my nail guns.

rvn4fun

We also have the masterflow. It is small but really works, it will pump our tires up to 110 pounds in a short time. We always carry it in the Jeep when we are out off roading.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have a Porter Cable pancake 120v compressor goes to 150psi real quick. Small and light weight takes up little space in front compartment. The 4000 watt Champion generator runs it with no problem... Got it at Home Depot under $100.. well worth the money..

FARMER45

I carry a bottle of compressed nitrogen, it has a full pressure of about 2500 psi a regulator lowered that to 150 psi, so a hose can carry the pressure.
The bottle is about 18 in tall weight is about 15 lbs. has 60 cu ft of nitrogen. I can exchange the bottle at any welding supply store for about 15 to 20 dollars
I have a quick connect on the regulator for the hose and it will top off a tire at 110 psi in seconds
With a 25 ft hose I can reach all trailer and tv tires without taking bottle out of trailer
No compressor ,or gas or elec. motor to maintain

porthole

Retired
If money was not the object I would go with Johns rec on the Viair. One of the higher end "4" series and a 3-5 gallon tank. The tank could be remotely mounted out of the way, even underneath the trailer. Stainless tanks are really not that expensive.
Viair makes compressors that are capable of 200 psi and 100% duty cycle (cut in at 150, out at 200). And since it is 12 volts you should always have power.

Whatever compressor you get, keep in mind the cut in and cut out pressures. Many cut in (turn on the compressor) at 90-100 psi. That would result in a 100 psi tire never getting filled.
I am using a Porter Cable pancake compressor that I picked up in Elkhart with the trailer. I bought it after being frustrated trying to get my tires up to 80 psi with an almost identical kit like the Masterflow listed above.

The porter cable works good but if I am really pumping up the trailer tires I will fill a tire then dump some tank air with an air nozzle until the compressor kicks in. Wait to get the the tank back up to 150 and move on. My Goodyear G114's are capable of holding 135 psi.

Where do you put the compressor? For me, it is in the basement since I don't need to have air available in the truck. If flexibility was needed then it would definitely be a frame mounted Viair for the truck.

Being a diver takes care of my occasional needs for the truck. when we hit the beach with a "by-law" maximum tire pressure of 15psi I will bring a SCUBA tank and modified regulator with me. My tanks hold 120 cubic feet of air at 3500 psi. That is a lot of air available. That is enough air to run a notorious air hog whizzer wheel for about 10-15 minutes. For me, SCUBA refills are cheaper and more convenient then CO2 fills.

My compressor and hose reel mounted in the Cyclone
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=138183&viewfull=1#post138183

lwmcguir

If money was not the object I would go with Johns rec on the Viair. One of the higher end "4" series and a 3-5 gallon tank. The tank could be remotely mounted out of the way, even underneath the trailer. Stainless tanks are really not that expensive.
Viair makes compressors that are capable of 200 psi and 100% duty cycle (cut in at 150, out at 200). And since it is 12 volts you should always have power.

Whatever compressor you get, keep in mind the cut in and cut out pressures. Many cut in (turn on the compressor) at 90-100 psi. That would result in a 100 psi tire never getting filled.
I am using a Porter Cable pancake compressor that I picked up in Elkhart with the trailer. I bought it after being frustrated trying to get my tires up to 80 psi with an almost identical kit like the Masterflow listed above.

The porter cable works good but if I am really pumping up the trailer tires I will fill a tire then dump some tank air with an air nozzle until the compressor kicks in. Wait to get the the tank back up to 150 and move on. My Goodyear G114's are capable of holding 135 psi.

Where do you put the compressor? For me, it is in the basement since I don't need to have air available in the truck. If flexibility was needed then it would definitely be a frame mounted Viair for the truck.

Being a diver takes care of my occasional needs for the truck. when we hit the beach with a "by-law" maximum tire pressure of 15psi I will bring a SCUBA tank and modified regulator with me. My tanks hold 120 cubic feet of air at 3500 psi. That is a lot of air available. That is enough air to run a notorious air hog whizzer wheel for about 10-15 minutes. For me, SCUBA refills are cheaper and more convenient then CO2 fills.

My compressor and hose reel mounted in the Cyclone
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=138183&viewfull=1#post138183

Very nice installation!

JohnDar

It's not that money is no object, it's just the life lesson of buying cheap and having to buy it twice (or more). I like the idea of using a SCUBA tank as a reservoir, though. I might have to see if my old tanks can pass hydro and try that. Been a while since I dove, though.

porthole

Retired
I like the idea of using a SCUBA tank as a reservoir, though. I might have to see if my old tanks can pass hydro and try that. Been a while since I dove, though.

John, if you are thinking of using a SCUBA tank with your Viair it is not worth the effort. You would be better off getting it Hydro'ed, visualed and then sell it and buy what you really need.

The average full size SCUBA tank holds between .5 and 1 cubic foot of air at 0 psi, and it is heavy. With 150 psi out of your compressor you would get a max of about 5 cubic feet (based on a high pressure steel 120).

You would be better off just using a rated portable air storage tank. That would yield between 2 and 3 cubic feet

Volume of Gas = (actual PSI in Tank) * (Tank's Rated Volume)/(Tank's Rated Pressure)
I just found a neat free app for the iPhone, TankVolCalc http://appshopper.com/utilities/tank-volume-calc

<tbody>
</tbody>

Speedy

Just need to say that if one was to go the bottled gas route (CO2 or nitrogen) the amount of CO2 to be carried would be far less than nitrogen because CO2 is a cyrogentic gas/liquid in the bottle versus nitrogen is just high pressure gas. A small bottle of CO2 will last much longer than a simular sized bottle of nitrogen.

I'm right now in the process of just pricing out a regulator setup for CO2 and then use a tank purchased from a welding shop. Many reason for going this route is easy of refills; it's just an exchange.

JohnDar

John, if you are thinking of using a SCUBA tank with your Viair it is not worth the effort. You would be better off getting it Hydro'ed, visualed and then sell it and buy what you really need.

The average full size SCUBA tank holds between .5 and 1 cubic foot of air at 0 psi, and it is heavy. With 150 psi out of your compressor you would get a max of about 5 cubic feet (based on a high pressure steel 120).

You would be better off just using a rated portable air storage tank. That would yield between 2 and 3 cubic feet

Volume of Gas = (actual PSI in Tank) * (Tank's Rated Volume)/(Tank's Rated Pressure)
I just found a neat free app for the iPhone, TankVolCalc http://appshopper.com/utilities/tank-volume-calc

<tbody>
</tbody>

HUH? My steel tank is a 72 cu. ft. tank and the aluminum one is 80 cu. ft. of compressed air. I wasn't planning on filling them off the Viair, but maybe taking them (or one) to a dive shop for filling. Just a passing thought at this time, though. The Viair is good for topping off tires, but I wouldn't try to fill a flat with it. That's what Good Sam ERS is for.