BH3670 City Water Connection

StephenKatSea

The male threaded end of our city water hose has broken off in our City Water Connection. And, we are unable to remove this section broken within the BH fitting. Appears CW connection shares the same housing as "Potable Water Tank Fill". So, must we replace this double purpose part in order to renew only the CW connection? BTW, the new connection will be made with an added 90 degree fitting to take the strain off the FW supply hose and associated fittings.

wdk450

Stephen:
I would call Heartland service at the number on the Portal page. Have your VIN handy. They should be able to give you the parts manufacturer and part number, along with contact info from their build sheet data for your rig.

Also, are you SURE you can't get the old hose end out? Could a short piece of broken hacksaw blade held by vicegrips cut a slot in the old hose fitting in order to get it to release from the trailer inlet fitting?

StephenKatSea

Bill - Thanks, slotting the inside of the broken male hose fitting may be worth a try. But, the screen strainer of the BH City Water Connection somewhat impedes work in that area. Although, it may not take much to just create a slot in the old hose fitting. Thanks again. - Steve

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Try smashing it together with needle nose plyers. The brass fitting should be very soft. You might even try turning out with the same plyers. Hold the fitting with some channel locks and turn the brass fitting with the needle nose plyers.

wdk450

Maybe a Dremel tool ball tip grinder might do this easier, along with thin nose vice grips to get the old hose fitting out.

StephenKatSea

Maybe a Dremel tool ball tip grinder might do this easier, along with thin nose vice grips to get the old hose fitting out.
Yep, I was just thinking about trying this with a Dremel. Unfortunately, none of the snapped off male hose fitting is protruding beyond the female CW connection. So, I would be unable to grab and smash the male fitting with needle nose pliers, as previously suggested.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have a pair of needle nose pliers, insert them into the male fitting and open them up as hard as you can. Have a helper hold the female fitting so it does not spin and try turning the broken piece out of it.

gebills

Hi Stephen: sounds like you have been given several options; the Dremel tool cutting along one edge along with prying the cut edge in where you can get ahold of it with pliers/ vice grips may be your best solution. In our maintenance department we keep an array of easy-outs that we use and on occasion, modify to suit the occasion. Without seeing how heavy (referring to its thickness/ i.e. thin brass or heavier machined brass) the piece that us broken is, it's a little difficult to judge what would work best. Good luck with your efforts... grills

StephenKatSea

If you have a pair of needle nose pliers, insert them into the male fitting and open them up as hard as you can. Have a helper hold the female fitting so it does not spin and try turning the broken piece out of it.

John - Yes, this will be my first effort once we return to our BH. For the time being, just switched to FW Tank/12v pump. Thought a slight grove or score from the Dremel may give the needle nose pliers a little something to twist against. These have all been good suggestions and I thank everyone. Keep them coming, if you've got more.

StephenKatSea

Well, after "gentle" efforts with a Dremel and then the attempted use of snap ring pliers - No Joy. Dis-similar metals etc, seem to have the remnants of the male connection pretty well melted within the "City Water" connection. Ordered a new Fresh Water Fill / City water connection assembly. New one arrived. It is all plastic components - no metal what so ever. Any particular concerns/remedies with this all plastic unit? I will use a 90 at the city water connection, which should ease the strain on the supply hose.