BH3875FB - IT'S HERE!! Now what????

Ok so we've waited 8 weeks since we ordered and our unit arrives on Monday ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Now - what happens next? Of course the dealer contacted us to say the unit is arriving and they want us to get the financing closed and completed by the end of the month. They ensure us we can take delivery whenever we are ready (not necessarily next week). Is this the normal process? I would have thought we would do our PDI before closing on the financing?

Any input on this process would be appreciated. We've never ordered a custom unit before.

Thank you!!

One Day Closer To Full Timing!!
Darryl and Becky Rust

Oregon_Camper

NEVER EVER complete the payment prior to completing your PDI....EVER! You want them to have incentive to complete the stuff you find in a reasonable amount of time. We did our PDI and came back the next weekend to review all the items we found (and there were many little things) and once we were satisfied the work was done...then I gave them the check.

If you don't have a PDI, you can grab mine from my signature below.

Enjoy your new Bighorn!!!

danemayer

When you take delivery, you'll get to sign several types of documents, including the Finance Note which officially lends you money and where you commit to a payment schedule. Another key document is the Acceptance document where you agree that you've received the RV and everything is OK.

I'd suggest you schedule with the dealer so that you sign the paperwork at the end of the day, after the PDI.

If there are things that need to be fixed, ideally all those things should be fixed before signing the paperwork. You can also choose to note those things on the Acceptance form and sign with a promise that it'll all get fixed. But you never have more leverage with the dealer than when they want your signature. So you should push them to get it all fixed before you sign. Sometimes parts are needed and that's just not possible. At that point you get to decide whether to take delivery and sign, or to delay.

Once the paperwork has been filled out and printed, the dealer will not want to delay. But in my view, it's not very hard for them to go back into their computer and change the date and reprint new docs. If at all possible, get everything to your satisfaction before you sign.

donr827

Good information by Dan. Your best leverage time to get things fixed or adjusted is before signing papers.
Don

kowAlski631

Ok......
Now - what happens next? Of course the dealer contacted us to say the unit is arriving and they want us to get the financing closed and completed by the end of the month. They ensure us we can take delivery whenever we are ready (not necessarily next week). Is this the normal process? I would have thought we would do our PDI before closing on the financing?

Darryl and Becky Rust

Of course they want their money first! - DON'T DO IT! Make sure you do a thorough PDI first and make sure every feature you ordered is present. Push all the buttons, check every water connection, know how everything works and, if it doesn't work or it's not just right, don't complete the purchase until it is or until you have a list of deficiencies in writing, signed by a manager at the dealer, and a commitment to make it right. After all of that - ENJOY!!

carl.swoyer

If you can apply water pressure and try to put it in a rain bay to check for leaks. I spent 9 months in warranty trying to get my landmark fixed. That was in 2012. Now it is all about keeping up with maintaining everything. Seals self leveling sealeant on the roof . when it rains ckeck for water leaks . it's on going but necessary

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Would it be safe to assume they will want to run our credit to ensure we are covered for the amount (which I know we are) and lock down the interest rate now knowing that we will be scheduling outer PDI within the next 2 weeks? Or do we do now financing information until we do the PDI? We just have never done a custom order so this morning process seems a bit different from a purchase off the lot. Should it be?

MCTalley

...by the end of the month.

Sounds like they're desperate to make a monthly sales quota. I agree with Dan and others about letting them wait. Though I wouldn't be against letting them go ahead and get you pre-approved with a loan for which you will sign after the PDI.

danemayer

Would it be safe to assume they will want to run our credit to ensure we are covered for the amount (which I know we are) and lock down the interest rate now knowing that we will be scheduling outer PDI within the next 2 weeks? Or do we do now financing information until we do the PDI? We just have never done a custom order so this morning process seems a bit different from a purchase off the lot. Should it be?

The loan process starts by filling out an application of some sort. When that's submitted they'll also run a credit check. This can be done in advance of completing the loan and doesn't commit you.

Locking the interest rate is something you can request, but the dealer may not have any control. The dealer is probably working with a bank or other lender who actually sets the rate and terms of the loan. The dealer is usually just the middleman. I'd be surprised if you can get the rate locked unless you go to a lender of your choice.

There's no reason to tie the loan application to the delivery schedule unless you think interest rates will drop within that period. And of course that's hard to predict.

It might be worth shopping the loan. If you belong to a credit union, they may make the loan at a better rate. It's more work to coordinate because the dealer isn't the middleman, but you might save some money. At the very least, you can find out what rates are available elsewhere.

carl.swoyer

Never sign for your rig before doing a delivery inspection. Once you sign you own it and all it problem s. Make them fix all issues first. otherwise your in warranty for repair. The dealership makes a lot of money on warranty. Be tough it your rig

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WBG

WBGavin
Ok so we've waited 8 weeks since we ordered and our unit arrives on Monday ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Any input on this process would be appreciated. We've never ordered a custom unit before.

Thank you!!

Darryl and Becky Rust

Darryl & Becky,

When we ordered ours, we did the PDI first and once that was satisfactory (there were no significant deficiencies), paid for the unit (we did not finance it). I do not see any reason why the sequencing should change just because the unit is financed.

WBG

'Lil Guy'

If you ordered one, I am assuming you put down a deposit. At least we did to get it ordered. You sign a form letting them check your credit and get the financing arranged and set the interest rate. The interest rate is negotiable. We balked at their rate and had it lowered. Then there is the acceptance form saying you agree that the rig is in good working order and sign off on all of the areas. You want the rig as bad as they want to sell it. Just be pleasant and when he wants you to sign the final papers, just say you haven't inspected the rig yet and you'll sign off after everything is checked. Again, when he wants you to sign the papers, ask about the acceptance form and when he shows it to you, tell him you need to go through it before you sign it. If for any reason there are major issues, or lots of issues, I would not accept it and have them order me another one. By major issues, I mean Major issues like slide damage or anything you are not comfortable with them fixing. For what they cost, you should make sure you are getting a solid rig.
Your salesman will understand your concerns, just don't let them push you. Enjoy that new rig.

Thank you for all the input! We are doing the PDI on Tuesday. We did go and see our unit when it arrived this week. We are in love!! Turned out much better than we could have hoped ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

'Lil Guy'

Thank you for all the input! We are doing the PDI on Tuesday. We did go and see our unit when it arrived this week. We are in love!! Turned out much better than we could have hoped

I know the feeling. Take your time and enjoy the experience.

Thanks again for everyone's input. We did our PDI today. We took about 5 hours. Found a handful of minor things that they will be correcting. Overall we feel our PDI went extremely well and our tech did an excellent job of showing us everything!! We are scheduled to pick up our unit early next week!!:D