Big Country - 3596RE Weight

jwg61047

I picked up my new Big Country 3596 2 weeks ago and did I get a surprise. The model we ordered from had a dry weight of 11,980 and the Brochure had a weight 12,280. I told our salesman I didn't want to go over the 12,280 and I would prefer the lighter. It said it would be somewhere between the two but not over the Brochure add. My order was exactly the same as the model we looked at nothing more added. My trailer came weighing in at 13,100. No one at the dealership or Heartland has been able to tell me why. In fact, they seemed baffled at such a difference. I haven't received an answer from Heartland yet. I've been RVing for 40 years and this is the first time I've experienced this. Has anyone else experienced this or can you tell me why there is a 1000 Lb difference.

danemayer

Hi jwg61047,

Here's one possibility that could explain some of the difference. The brochure weight doesn't include options. The model you looked at may have had options added locally that wouldn't have been represented on the sticker. If you ordered those options from the factory, they'd be included in the final weight going out the door. There also might have been design changes that added weight. For example, I've noticed that many of the kitchen counter islands have been greatly enlarged, with drawers and cabinets added. While that may not be the case on your unit, maybe you've noticed other design changes making your unit a bit different from the one on the dealer lot.

Finally, there's the remote possibility that there's a mistake on the label. A trip to a CAT Scale would give you the actual weight.

jwg61047

Dan one thing I failed to mention was that we looked at the two units side by side and went in and out numerous time and never found anything different. Like I said, the dealership was lost for words. They said they would try to find out but haven't heard from them. It just means I have to leave a few things at home or I will overload the truck. The hitch weight is 2180 on the 3596. I probably need to go to the scales with this one though. I had done all my homework and knew what I could handle with my current tv. My wife will have to learn to travel a little lighter!!!!! I'm really more curious than anything. Like I said, the two side by side look identical. I think I will take your advise and go to the scales with this to make sure the sticker is right.

B

bwwalczak

I have received your message, and I want to make sure we respond. All RVs are built by hand and there could be a couple of reasons for the difference in weight.

1. improper / mistaken weight label. This does happen when water (some or all) is left in the tanks at time of weighing. This is an accident when it happens. This sometimes happens when a vehicle is winterized (yours was winterized when it left the plant). This COULD have happened, but it seems likely. This can also happen when a person or two is still in the unit when it is being weighed. This is also a mistake, but we do our best to insure this does not happen.
2. options - the dry weights listed on web/brochure can be very different depending on the options listed. For example, on your coach, you have the 2nd A/C, 4 door refer (very heavy), high gloss sidewalls (heavier than standard walls), and solid surface countertops (not included in standard weight).

The 3596RE Big Country is a large coach, one of the largest Heartland builds. Please keep in mind that Heartland's trailers are not the heaviest, nor the lightest in the market. Heartland's 5th wheels are truly the "goldilocks effect" - just right for the size. If trailers are too light, they may (in most cases) lack the critical components that promote long term life. On the flip side, if a trailer is too heavy, it may not be using the newest and most up to date construction methods. Heartland takes special effort to insure well built trailers with the latest construction methods.

In the past, if we have ever questioned weights, we have used CAT scales. Curious, what truck are you pulling with?