Big Country/ Bighorn versus Elkridge

DaveInVA

I am looking for a unit that I will live in off and on six months out of the year. I travel overseas for work, so it will be stored when I am deployed. I live in the Northern Virginia area, so I need a unit that can take winter temps and medium amounts of snow. I know that the luxury models are rated for full-timers, but I have two small sons that will also be with me off and on, so the bunk bed floor plan offered in the Elkridge is very appealing. I would appreciate any opinions from Elkridge owners that might be living in their fifth wheels full time or anyone that would recommend not going that route. The Bighorn 3755fl is high on the list since it has the front living area with the couches, but if you have a model you think would work better, I would love to know about it. Thanks

danemayer

Hi DaveInVA,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I'm sure you'll get some advice from Elkridge, Big Country, and BigHorn owners shortly.

JeromyS

It really depends on which 6 months you are present vrs away. If you're going to be living in the unit during the colder months, then you can not beat the increased insulation in the Luxury models (BC/Landmark etc) as they are designed to be 4 season lived in. The Elkridge bunk house models are fine units (I have the 37 ultimate prior to the 38 RSRT floor plan). I can say that I personally would go with the 38 RSRT floor plan if I could do it all over again especially considering two young children (I camp with 3 Adults and 3 Children). Anyhow I'm sure that others will be able to provide more useful information! A birdy told me that we might be seeing a bunkhouse floor plan in the Big Country line in the next 1 to 2 years which I think would be a welcomed addition to the Luxury line up although that's purely hear say at this time :).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've had our ElkRidge for 4.5 years now. Mostly, we've used it for vacationing, short and long trips, in all types of weather. Recently, were using it as temporary housing as we make a job transition.

I can tell you, the ElkRidge is not built for full time living, though it could be used as such. I think long term, it will not be satisfactory.

We are happy with our unit, but some of the issues to consider:

Tanks are smaller. With two of us living in it, we have to dump every 5 days. Insulation values are less in walls, floors, ceiling and slideouts compared to the full-time units, so ACs run more, heating runs more, to keep it comfortable. (We added thermal curtains to help with this.)

Little things become big things... Sink is too small/shallow for cleaning lots of dishes.... Carpet/padding is not as durable.... Not as much basement storage, since ER does not have the dropped frame in the front.... Not lots of drawer storage for clothes (socks, underwear, etc.)

We added heat pads to tanks and water lines so we could take our rig to colder climates for skiing, so I am not sure how the unit does without it.

If we had the money, we would definitely upgrade to a full-time unit if full-timing was what we were planning to do, long term.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We lived in our Bighorn 3670RL for three years straight, in all kinds of weather. We factory ordered it with dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, generator, suspension pinbox, etc. The functionality and design is very good for long-term living.

Between BH and BC the lines have been blurred a bit as Big Country has come into it's own. Many of the differences between these two product lines are cosmetic. I prefer the BH, however I have friends who love their BC's. Both are quality units well suited to full time, or long term use. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Do your homework and get the unit you like best. Trace