Big Country - Wheel Bearing Grease

WillyBill

I don't know - it seems like we're getting out into the loose gravel on this one. I'm starting to wonder if this is perhaps a butt covering exercise on Dexter's part. Relying on a liquid gasket to form a seal on a wheel spindle under high pressure and high rpm's just doesn't make sense. That's the purpose of the seal and also, that seal should mount just fine with the grease already on the spindle. As far as cocking, I'm guessing that a properly installed seal can't possibly get cocked during mounting.

Why butt covering? Well, say you have axle problems and you didn't use this somewhat arcane procedure, then of course the warranty is void because it's your fault. Does this procedure exist anywhere else (in say a Motors Manual or a Chilton Manual)? While I agree that it ceratinly can't hurt anything to do this, I do question if it's at all valid, despite what Dexter says.

@BigGuy82,

The silicone only goes on the outside of the seal shell and seals it against the hub, does not touch the seal surface or the spindle.

WB

BigGuy82

@BigGuy82,

The silicone only goes on the outside of the seal shell and seals it against the hub, does not touch the seal surface or the spindle.

WB

Not to prolong this discussion, but there is lierally no way grease should migrate past that joint, unless the seal or hub is defective. Also, there is no way that the Permatex is capable of holding that seal in place if it does not fit perfectly in the first place.

End of the day, it's a preference thing. Not something I see any value in doing.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Not to prolong this discussion, but there is lierally no way grease should migrate past that joint, unless the seal or hub is defective. Also, there is no way that the Permatex is capable of holding that seal in place if it does not fit perfectly in the first place.

End of the day, it's a preference thing. Not something I see any value in doing.

The purpose of the sealant is to fill imperfections in the hub and seal housing and to prevent water intrusion that would otherwise cause rust damage. This is something that has been done since the beginning of time. The use of high temp RTV, prevents the brake temps from melting out the sealant.

BigGuy82

The purpose of the sealant is to fill imperfections in the hub and seal housing and to prevent water intrusion that would otherwise cause rust damage. This is something that has been done since the beginning of time. The use of high temp RTV, prevents the brake temps from melting out the sealant.

The beginning of your time maybe. I feel the chances of water incursion are zero to none. Not my first barbecue and I've never done it and never had a problem. Perhaps this is an old wives tale that has perpetuated itself into reality? Personally, I think it's nonsense. Moreover, I have never seen this procedure in any automotive repair manual - or anywhere else for that matter. As a young man, I was trained in auto and truck repair by those who I consider some of the best wrenches in the business - never saw this then either.

As I said - preference and it certainly can't hurt. If you feel comfortable doing it, please continue.

BigGuy82

See NHCelt's post below.

Even Dexter had heard of it- "standard on factory bearings"

WB

Read my post below ref Dexter covering their butts.

This is becoming a circular post. You're not going to sell me on this dubious procedure - the Pope could weigh in for it and it wouldn't matter. Conversely, I certainly don't care if you choose to do it.

porthole

Retired
Another procedure I must have missed in my former career.

But, if Dexter says you need to do it , then by all means go ahead and do it.

But I would challenge dexter to show any data to show this is a feasible work around.