Big Horn height

gdawgs24

Recently just picked up 2017 big horn 3970rd. I need some help regarding the actual height. Its says its 13'3". Has anyone actually measured this and is that to the top of the ac unit? I am looking at purchasing a metal building to store it under and if I get one that is 13' 10" tall it would save me a considerable amount of money vs going up to the next size which is like 15' tall. Its like double the price

jbeletti

I'd say on level ground - the 13'3" is going to be pretty accurate. Likely within an inch.

That said, be aware that unless your driveway into the garage is not level but has a pitch/slope upward into the garage, you may have other considerations.

My current Landmark has a flat-line roof. My driveway has a 7 degree slope upward toward the 14' high RV garage door. Once the back of the RV enters the garage, it continues to climb upward until the front axle wheels break the plane of the garage entrance. As such, I had to raise my garage door tracks and motor. Now I "just" barely clear.

Do the math for your setup :)

Kathi-27

have not measured but was told that the diff in ht from the cheeper model was because of bed room a/c. 13.3 was to top of bedroom a/c. law is max ht of 13.6 in. so that would be he max overall ht if this helps. I would still g with the taller one. I just ordered ours 18wx46lx12sides. gives me 15 in center. would make for a very tight fit. you would not be able to get on top to do any maintance.

avvidclif

Check with the metal building company. Most of the time they measure height at the sidewall, not peak. I had the same problem with my RV port. 12' was one price but over 12' got expensive. It seems the standard legs are 12' and over that they had to special order.

Long story short, my sidewalls are 12' high but the peak of the roof is over 15'. Mine is 18' wide and I have no problem with getting into or out of. I just have to stay in the center. And unless you like to crawl on your knees you can't get on top.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hate to say this, but I'd measure if you can before committing to a building. We had our Big Country measured, which is the sister plan to that unit, at a rally recently. It came in, hitched up, at 13'8"!!

Forum name Nander, (Dave and Nancy) have your same plan, and they measured theirs as well but I don't recall the measurement. You might PM them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika, you should redo that measurement before going through Dalhart - or around Dalhart.

Yes Dan, I know what you are referencing! We saw that low bridge when we were on a charter bus to Winter Park last month. We will re-program our GPS with the new height and be evermore aware.

I feel pretty confident, we were hitched up, on a level concrete pad. Dave S. Used a long level on top of the front AC with a cord hanging off of it, and Tony and Jay marked the spot it hit the ground. They then took it down and laid it flat to run a tape measure on it.
720fafeda8080df27ac7020c47c2b26c.jpg

dewwood

There has been a lot of good advice. I would suggest the taller building, it is a lot easier to live with a little extra than have a tight fit every time you have to move in and out of the building. One other thing to consider is whether or not you are planning on putting a door on the building. If a door is installed you need extra room for the the door to retract if it is an overhead door.

mlpeloquin

I measured ours from the ground to the roof and then from the roof the the top of the AC shroud. Even though I have the new Trail Air pin box and level my truck with the air bags, it measured 13' 3 1/2". I use 13' 5". We went under a 13' 6" posted clearance very slowly and it cleared. Kind of spooky at first.

danemayer

I feel pretty confident, we were hitched up, on a level concrete pad. Dave S. Used a long level on top of the front AC with a cord hanging off of it, and Tony and Jay marked the spot it hit the ground. They then took it down and laid it flat to run a tape measure on it.

I see the problem - you let Dave and Jay help. LOL. :rolleyes:

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Be sure to measure it. As Erika said, we measured our Bighorn 3970RD and it was 13'8". The ground was level and this was hitched. We know it's taller than our Big Country 3650RL because the Bighorn would not fit through our gate. We had to remove a steel bar for it to fit. The Big Country went under it just fine. The old saying - Measure twice, cut once. ;)

avvidclif

Interesting as there are no Federal Height limits. They state "No federal vehicle height limit is imposed. State standards range from 13.6 feet to 14.6 feet" BUT the interstate bridges have a min height of 14' in urban areas and 16' otherwise.

Diamondjim

Erika - how many folks does it take to measure how tall a 5th wheel is?
I see 7, and a camera man to document the event..............nice project, but none the less, necessary!:confused:
Our Greystone is 13'2" tall and I consider that valuable information to remember.

Oregon_Camper

Yes Dan, I know what you are referencing! We saw that low bridge when we were on a charter bus to Winter Park last month. We will re-program our GPS with the new height and be evermore aware.

720fafeda8080df27ac7020c47c2b26c.jpg

Love the fact is takes 4 people to keep an eye on the pesky ladder. You never know when it is going to run away on you.

avvidclif

Looks like a city water dept crew. One guy with a shovel, digging, 3 leaning on shovels, and 3 watching.

SLO

2016 3685RL is 13' 5" measured hooked up to truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Not sure why your builder is upping the cost so much for a couple of extra feet. Maybe you should consider another builder. We built our barn many years ago. At the time we had a tag along. I thought I was pretty smart and had it built with 12 foot side walls and (2) 12 foot wide by 12 foot high doors (not garage doors). When we purchased our first fifth wheel I realized the 12 foot was way too short. If I get a chance to build another it will have 14+ high doors for sure. Every time I drive by a place and I see them starting to build a barn I mumble to myself, "it's not big enough" been there done that kind of thing.
So I guess what I'm saying to you is find a way to get the extra height making sure to consider the type of door you will have. If you go with a garage style door you want to make sure you talk with the installers about how much wall height you will need to get the door height you want.
Good luck and please post pics when it's done.
Mark